Tax exempt petition to the Government

There is an online petition to restore the rolling 25 year exemption for car tax (which was stopped by the Labour government) I think it is worth signing, do you?

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yep, just done it. Thanks for posting it.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

aye me too.

Reply to
reg

No. A similar petition has already received a negative reply from the government. I can't see another faring any better

Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've got mixed views. I own a car which will shortly pass the 25 year old mark. But not sure I want to encourage what may be simply old wrecks to be kept on the road. And by the nature of it make the rest of us subsidise the cost of this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whilst I agree I don't think those internet petitions are worth the paper they're written on.

Reply to
Malc

Good petition, I'll do it.

As a matter of interest have any of these online petitions managed to change anything yet.

I have a feeling they're just there to let the plebs vent and to gather information on trouble makers ;-)

Reply to
Ian

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

IME, if a car makes it to 25 years, it has been kept going as a love object for around ten years or so. Old wrecks normally get scrapped at 10-15 years at most.

If we really cared about the environment, rather than Big Business shifting metal, we would introduce a sliding system whereby cars got cheaper in tax terms from ten years old onwards.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Judging by the "we know best" attitude of this government (e.g. the 2 million people signing the petition against road charging being ignored) and F the voters they know jack (they voted us in didn't they?) I would say no, it is not worth signing.

Even though I don't have a classic car, I do appreciate them (Only this week I was rubbernecking while overtaking an L reg Cortina on the M62 like the one my Dad used to have) and will sign the petition to "stick it to the man".

BTW I have no political affiliation, my view is that all you are choosing at voting time is what colour broomstick you get F'd up the ass with. And the leadership battles/changes are only deciding who is holding it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

So paying for tax makes these 'old wrecks' perfect cars then?

Reply to
ThePunisher

Possibly not. But anyway, since every petition I ever signed in my life failed in it's objective, I've refrained from signing this one in order to give it a bit of a chance.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I obviously appreciate classic cars since I own one, but I'm not sure just why ownership of those (and the hobby of doing so) should be subsidised by the community. If there is spare taxpayer's money going begging I can think of many more worthwhile causes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It means they will have to be kept off the road.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How many 25 year old cars do you see in daily use?

That would be, what, a suffix Y-plate?

Can't see it being a major issue myself.

Reply to
SteveH

I think the idea was that such cars are likely to not be the owner's only car. Tax would be paid on the main, every day one; the classic would normally do such a low milage that the tax cost was disproportionate to the usage.

I don't have a direct interest in a classic car, but for the trivial difference in costs it would make to me, I'm all for doing everything possible to encourage those that use them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A couple of days ago I saw an M reg Datsun. I was fairly gobsmacked given their reputation for rusting. Or it might have been a Toyota.

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

I saw a Land Crab the other day. I nearly crashed!

Reply to
Guy King

Until recently a guy at the Co next to ours on the trading estate, was regularly using an 'A' suffix Triumph Spitfire to commute to work. He and the car disappeared about a month ago, so presumably he found himself another job Can't be too many 40 plus years old Spitfires still on the road. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Indeed. Most of them have rolled off it...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan