Taxing car on line

I have just got new tax disc.Documents were handed in to Post Office and in less than 24hours I had disc on car.Daughter ordered hers on line recently and it was 5 days before she got disc.My renewal form for some reason did not have the info for applying on line but now Im glad it didn't and I think I will stick to PO from now on.Sorry to bore you with this but just thought I would give PO a plug.

Reply to
Tab

Crap innit.

I looked into it when it first came out. If you didn't have a computerised MOT you've had it. If there's any issue with the insurance database you've had it.

When it first started you couldn't pay by card. I think you can now, for a fee.

But what did it for me was that you can't put the car on the road until it arrives in the post, even though it's on their database as taxed. How stupid is that???

I bet they'll be complaining soon that not as many people as they thought are using the expensive to set up online system...

Reply to
PC Paul

Yes - =A32.50 - I mentioned it on uk.legal the other day, querying whether= =20 the Post Office gets any fee for processing / handling tax discs - and=20 why this wasn`t taken into account by imposing the card fee.

No reply yet from the DVLA (or whatever they`re called now) yet on this=20 point.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Card fee is £2-50 for credit card payments but debit card is free.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Do you get charged if it's a debit card?

The PO only take those - not credit cards.

BTW, is an 'online' disc handwritten or printed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No

I`ll let you know when (if) it arrives :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Mine came the next day and I've queued for 5 days in the Post Office before.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Here here. I did mine online - it arrived in the post - no queuing - no searching for documents - no worries.

Reply to
adder1969

Well I took the plunge and paid by debit card on line late on the 17th and received the confirming email. I have just got home today (19th) and tax disk was on the mat. I thought it would have arrived by recorded delivery though. But there again important documents such passports don't even get that either. Strange really because the government claim we need ID cards yet seem unable to correct the number of 'lost in transit' passports I gather.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

No queuing at PO here You stick documents in a letter box in PO(in an envelope of course) and disc etc arrives in first post next day.

Reply to
Tab

They`re printed.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

: But there again important documents such passports don't even get : that either.

I thought passports were now sent by courier since the theft rate by post office employees was so high.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Mine didn't last month, just normal first class post.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The last summons I had for accidentally not insuring my C90 a few years ago [1] came first class, not recorded or registered. I wondered then whether I should just have claimed it never arrived as there was no proof of delivery.

[1] The broker didn't send a reminder even though I'd only just changed bikes. I know they don't have to legally but you get used to a reminder arriving.
Reply to
Malc

Recorded delivery is more likely to get stolen in sorting offices etc. A tax disc isn't much use to anyone else so has little value.

Passports are now delivered by courier - not the PO.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

: Ian Johnston wrote: : : : > I thought passports were now sent by courier since the theft rate by : > post office employees was so high.

: Mine didn't last month, just normal first class post.

Perhaps they've changed back or maybe I was ... horrors ... wrong.

I got a new one last month, but went for the hundred quid four-hour-turnaround option.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

The message from "Ian Johnston" contains these words:

The geyser from the Pisspot Orifice yesterday said on Radio 4 that they now use couriers.

Reply to
Guy King

It doesn't seem quite fair but it seems things like this are deemed "served" when they are placed in the post, not when they are actually received. If you do get a summons by recorded delivery you can refuse to accept it.

Reply to
adder1969