TDI dTI dCI

Since my post below has got a bit long and convoluted, I'll continue with another few questions :-

I've got 2 cars spotted and logged, but I'll see what tomorrows Autotrader offers first.

The two cars are bother 1999 'V' reg hatches

  1. Xantia 2.0 HDI LX , just out of lease , boring maroon colour but seems genuine
  2. Laguna 1.9 DTI Alize, 2 owners, a few blemishes but nice colour and aircon incl sunroof.

Q1. How can you spot whether a HDI is 90 or 110bhp ? The logbook had nothing on it to distinguish. Do I have climb underneath and look for an intercooler ?

Q2. Whats the word on the street about the Renault DTI engine ? Is their any relationship the the DCI engine or did one phase the other out ?

Reply to
Ebodski

You need to open the bonnet to play spot the intercooler. The Hdi Xantia is a fine car, the 110 can be chipped to give around the 130+ bhp, which makes the thing really fly. TBH I wouldn't bother with the 90.

Regards

Philip Thornton-Evison

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison

Yes, thats the easiest way.

The DTI was the first gen direct injection with a rotary injection pump rather than common rail Not a bad engine, but not as refined or smoke-free as the latest DCi's and abit noisy, especially at cold start.

Tim

Reply to
Tim..