temp gauge on escort

Hi.. I have a 1998 1.6 escort finesse. Never had a problem with overheating . The temp gauge on the dashboard has always stayed between zero & about 30%. In the past few days I noticed it go to about 50%. Never seen it that high before , but still well within the normal range. Driving home tonight I noticed it was back up to 50% then a couple of minutes later it had dropped back down to zero and it has stayed there ever since. Whats the likely cause? a sensor that needs replacing ? Could it be something I could try swapping myself before I have to take it to a garage?

Reply to
tomm

It happens that tomm formulated :

I don't have any specific info on the Escort, but if you can find the plug on the temperature sender, try short that plug to earth - it should cause the reading to go up to the hot mark on the gauge. That at least proves the wiring + gauge are OK.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Check the radiator fan works. Most common failure is the switch, then the thermostat, then the radiator.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

just been out to check.. the radiator fan is not turning. How serious could this be. I drive 15 miles to work should I do it or not? what do you think?

Reply to
tomm

mmmm just looked a page up on the net & it said the way to check if the radiator fan is working or not is to turn on the air canditioning, just tried it and the radiator fan came on thank god! I assume it was the radiator fan anyway.. a big fan on the middle of the radiator? yes I am thick I know !

Reply to
tomm

this does not mean the fan will work to cool the engine !! probably everything is fine. it might well be that the sender has failed or the wire has fallen off.. to check if the fan will work as needed just leave it running for a half hour or so, it should get hot and eventually the fan will kick in. if it boils over and steam appears then there is a fault that needs fixing.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

yes.. I see what you mean ..thanks ! what would you do in my position? I will risk it I think.. I have to get to work after all !! I drove about 10 miles or so home tonight with the gauge on zero. If it had been a overheating prob. wouldnt the gauge have gone above halfway? Is it normal for the gauge to drop to zero & stay there if it is a overheating problem?

Reply to
tomm

Unless your drive to work includes some stop/start traffic, I would do it for sure.

If you do get stuck in a jam, putting the heater to full and the fan to the fastest speed will help. Keep an eye on the gauge, and be prepared to stop.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

just thought.. if there is a problem with the fan not coming on to cool the radiator I can always have the air con turned on till it is sorted ?

Reply to
tomm

yes you can use the air con, and if the heater still works ok there is obviously still water in the system and the heater will cool off the engine!

Reply to
Mrcheerful