temperature switch Vauxhall Astra MK3 replacement

Can you please help me out

how do I check that the temperature switch is faulty and is it easy t replace it.My fan doesn't come on when engine gets hot.Just had to hav head gasket done

-- badbackb

Reply to
badbackb

Have the bonnet open and let the engine tick over till the temp gauge gets very high, the fan should come on when you can see bubbling start in the water bottle . If the water boils and starts to force its way out yet the fan has not come on then there is a fault. turn off and let it cool naturally for a while, locate the fan switch on the radiator and disconnect the plug, depending on the model there will be two or three wires, with the ignition on, bridge two pins at a time using a paper clip or needle nose pliers, with one pair crossed the fan should run, if not then either fuse, wiring or fan is faulty, if the fan works ok, but not when the switch is connected then the switch is probably faulty (or there is no hot coolant getting to it), go to a Vauxhall agent and get a new switch and gasket and renew it, take care as you can wreck the radiator while changing it, I have seen this happen. taking the switch out releases coolant, so make sure it has cooled before removing the old switch. you must have the correct type and strength of antifreeze in the system, along with a good cap on the water tank or the system cannot work properly, as it relies on high boiling point liquid under pressure, not water with no pressure.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

thanks Mrcheerful that is a good response to my question and should b very helpful

I will get on it right away thanks agai

-- badbackb

Reply to
badbackb