Temporay fuel cap legal & safe?

Hi there,

The fuel cap on my MkII Golf broke a few weeks ago, I've temporarily used one of those caps you can buy from a Petrol station- I was just wondering if they are legal and whether their are any safety issues with carrying on with this measure?

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jimmy99

I'm not sure if they are actually illegal, but I have known cars fail the MOT on these. I think the rationale is, that if the car rolled over in an accident a temporary cap like this could pop out and empty the entire contents of the tank in a few seconds.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

They can't be illegal, as such, coz they wouldn't be sold, but they are what they say they are: temporary. You have to have a locking cap, or a locking cover at least, for the MOT.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I'm not sure on the legalities on them, but I know you'll fail an MOT because of one. That has to say something!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

I suppose that, while not illegal, they're only meant as a temporary replacement and should have been replaced by a proper one by the time the MoT comes round.

Reply to
Scott M

They're s**te, they leak fumes at the least and your car will fail an MOT with one.

Reply to
Conor

you mean they wouldn't be sold if they were illegal the same as those "not legal for road use" number plates, bolt on ally pedal sets, green sidelamp bulbs etc?

Reply to
Conor

But you must agree that they're better than either nothing or a lump of old rag stuffed in the filler neck!

Reply to
Scott M

I've had many MOT's over the years but never known anyone open the flap to inspect the cap. And talking of fuel caps, what's with all those boy-racer type oversized fuel caps that look the size of wheel trims stuck to the side of the car?

Reply to
Mark

There are some that are MOT passable. I've got one on my van. They push into the pipe then you screw the middle to lock them into position. cost me about £3 from a petrol station.

You'll know when you see one cos it say MOT safe in big red letters on the package.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Weeeeeell...;o)

At least the items you mention are unlikely to be as much of a hazard as a plastic petrol cap popping off.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

My local station check the cap and always have done (well it is part of the test after all) so you either haven't seen them do it or they didn't do the test properly.

Reply to
Me

They were changed a few years ago when they started failing MOT tests. There are probably a few of the old type lying around waiting to be used.

Incidentally the entire fuel system is examined on an MOT test. Tank, pipes, the lot. Anything leaking fails.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I've always wondered at the mentality of driving a Molotov Cocktail around.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You are confusing locking with sealing methinks which is not the same thing at all ( see Citroen 2cv manufacturers petrol cap Bayonet fitting but has gasket inside no lock and is MOT legal

HTH Phil

Reply to
Phil

Oh aye? I didn't know that - just that my MOT place always asks for the key to the petrol cap.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The push-in ones you've been able to buy for ages will fail an MOT, but I did see one the other week that claimed to be MOTable.

Bottom line you could get done for driving around with it but no policeman is going to; it will fail an MOT. It can't be hard to get a new one for a Mk2 Golf anyway.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Hey Guys,

Just a quick note to say thanks for all your advice- I havn't made it the breakers yard yet but it's on my list !

Cheers

jim

Reply to
Jimmy99