Terraclean

Seems to be about £100 a go. Does it work or is it snake oil?

James H

I have asked in a predominantly American NG. It could be an offspin of Russ Andrews, of course.

Reply to
Davey

On SI Petrol engine with port injection and without EGR? No. I took the manifold off an engine with 180K miles and it was nice and clean so the injectors would be too.

On anything with an EGR soot recirculation system then probably yes.

Newer direct injection motors are supposed to be worse for port carbon build up as they don't get washed by fuel but no injector cleaner will remove this crap. Same goes for Diesel. Injectors in the combustion chamber are subject to combustion deposits just like spark plugs so cleaning may benefit those.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Here's a response from a Canadian, which is where it is supposed to have come from.

"Sounds like typical automotive razzle dazzle. All sorts of claims, even testimonials, but a little short on facts. Reminds me of STP

In 1976, STP faced a consumer protection order that required it to have scientific backing for certain statements and prohibited making false claims. In 1978, it paid a $500,000 civil penalty over claims. In 1995, STP paid $888,000 to settle Federal Trade Commission charges of false advertising.

Which is precisely why Terraclean isnt advertising in North America much, the regulations in Europe arent as strict I would guess. It took years before they were taken to court in the United States, although they had almost always made the same (non factual) claims, like cleaning your engine, better fuel economy and so forth.

Oh, the formula does help get rid of some deposits, no question, but diregard all the claims about what getting rid of those deposits does. There is no scientific evidence that any of those claims are true."

And another:

" It works, if and only if, your rings/etc having enough carbon, which is causing an issue.

The Lost Art of Chemical Carbon Removal

Feature Article from Hemmings Muscle Machines

January, 2008 - Ray T. Bohacz

Almost every engine in the muscle car community is suffering the wrath of excessive carbon deposits. Though the formation is partially due to the nature of gasoline as a hydrocarbon-based fuel, to a much greater extent it is the result of the owner's care and operation of the vehicle. When an engine is "carboned-up," the performance and drivability suffers, along with the potential for longevity.

#02-06-01-009C: Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Clean Piston Rings) - (Oct 23, 2003)

tion.pdf"

I won't be bothering with it.

Reply to
Davey

Recommended by all car makers? Or any? Or the AA, etc? Thought not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wonder if Quentin Wilson knows that he recommends it? Anybody know how to twitter him and ask him?

Reply to
Davey

I'm sure his accountant is very well aware.

Reply to
Adrian

Here is the response of the man himself, quoted with his permission:

"Just to set the record straight - I tested Terra Clean on a 2000 Merc CLK I own and saw a fuel economy and smoothness improvement. I wrote about my experiences in The Sunday Mirror.

I don?t officially endorse the product, wasn?t paid or have any financial connection whatsoever.

Quentin"

Reply to
Davey

Doesn't say much for the man if he owns a car which was so much below par.

Presumably the Mirror paid for the article.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

have any

No idea on either point, I just asked him, and he replied.

Reply to
Davey

The guy shown in the link is Ed China; well known in youtube. He is anyway a phenomenal petrolhead genious, but runs a business of course...But I can't imagine that he sells snake oil, that's not his style. So there must be something innit, but at a steep price.

Reply to
johannes
[...]

Bwahahahaha!

Some of the things he says on 'Wheeler Dealers' are hilariously inaccurate.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

He 'restored' a Jap' pickup truck the other week. It then failed its MOT on rotten floor pans. HTF could he miss rotten floor pans?

Reply to
Norman Rowing

I'd like to think Johannes was being sarcastic.

I'm an optimist like that.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm willing to bet if I had either of my cars so treated, there would not be a scrap of difference to the performance or economy.

That's not to say you couldn't find a car which was improved by it in some way. If you looked hard enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe; I didn't like the way they flopped the ACM Pacer. But some of the things he can do is quite impressive. Arise Sir Ed China.

Reply to
johannes