Tesco 2.98 for 5 litres 10/40 oil is not crap

"gazzafield"

>> Buy cheap oil and you get cheap oil. Do you value you your cars >> engine? >> You can buy cheap shit from Tesco for £2.97 a gallon. > >I use Tesco 10/40 oil @ £5.98 a tub. The engine's done over 140k and >burns a fair bit of oil so ain't worth anything better. The really cheap >stuff is usually 20/50 and too thick for my car otherwise I'd bang that >in. Does anyone know a cheaper place for 10/40?

The Tesco own brand oil as mentioned above is now on offer at £2.98 for 5 lites 10/40. (normally 5.98). The shelves were almost bare. I looked at the spec and it was SJ certified etc. Am sure it has been said before on here as long as the spec rating is ok it should do equally as good as Castrol 10/40 standard mineral oil or whatever? Is there really any difference between SJ spec Tesco 10/40 mineral and castrol SJ spec 10/40 mineral oil? Its an old car and was designed to run on mineral oil.

Asda do Texaco 10/40 for 5 litres at 7.98 which is also good value. Have also seen it in Morrisons at a similar price. I have seen the same oil for sale in Texaco petrol stations for 14.99.

I do see that 20/50 stuff in some supermarkets. I do wonder who buys and uses that stuff. I dont see many cars in the supermarket car park that would run on that stuff? You dont see many 1980 cortinas etc in the supermarket car parks. I think on some of those 20/50 containers it has pre 1980 engines written on it.

I think it is a bit of a danger selling that 20/50 oil in a modern supermarket. Makes you wonder how many people think oil is oil and top up their modern engine fords etc with that stuff? Supposedly only about 40% would attempt to change a wheel. Thats the danger when you buy a secondhand car if some idiot has been putting that old sludge in it.

Reply to
Jim

Should be fine on the old Suffolk Iron Foundry engines then (lawnmower engine from the 1950s), or a really rattly old Ford OHV maybe?

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Enough people to warrant selling the stuff - plus anything still running with the lovely old ford OHV or the not so lovely BLMC A series lump.

It's not a danger to allow people a choice. Plenty of people think that "bread is bread", or "milk is milk" and they pay their money and makes their choice.

Reply to
Macie

I wish 20/50 was recommended for my car - that 0-30 stuff costs a fortune, and doesn't even look like oil. 20/50 is nice - opaque, dark and gloopy. My Sierra ran fine on it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Must go and buy some then! I've an oil change coming up in under 1000 miles. I've used this oil in the past, as it's SJ rated and I change it every 5000 miles I would think it's ideal for the old petrol ZX.

Reply to
Doctor D