Test driving 4x4s - scuttle shake

Busy test driving various 4x4s (see previous posts about tow car).

On several vehicles I've encountered a shimmy in the transmission at around 70 mph.

Feels like a wheel out of balance, but could of course be one or more of the drive shafts or other 4x4 gubbins.

Twice I have had the chance to drive two examples of the same model and not had the shimmy on the second one. Different tyres between the two similar models.

This could be tyre balance, the type of tyre and hardness of side wall, or drive train.

Anyone have experience of this king of and what the solution was?

I'm trying to judge if it might be trivial or potentially serious (and yes, I know that is unanswerable).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

The larger the wheel diameter, the more it will show up any looseness in components. and People that own 4x4s often (usually IME) cannot afford to maintain them as they should and will compromise on servicing and especially on tyres.

A friend had a Disco diesel auto from new and had everything done as per the book without compromise, 1,000 a year was the typical price he paid over the 8 year period he owned it, and he only travelled about 6 -8 k per year, never towed with it, rarely even had a passenger, so it was well treated, and garaged every night, he got rid of it in 2003. Most people will not pay out that sort of cash (which would be probably 25 percent (or higher) more today.)

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it's been used off road have a look for globs of mud on the inside wheel rims.

AJH

Reply to
news