Testing a lambda sensor

Is it simple or doable to test if a lambdas working correctly ?

I may have a goosed lambda but before buying a new one at £60 I would like to double check its is indeed broken ?

Reply to
munki

munki explained :

This doesn't confirm it is good or bad, but no change at all will indicate bad....

Take the sensor out and check its condition at the nose, if it looks OK put it back. Now connect a digital meter across it set on the 2v DC range and run the engine. The reading should vary constantly between 0 and 1v.

If can run diagnostics on the ECU, the ECU might also be able to confirm if the sensor has problems.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ok I'll give that a try. So I guess anything over 1v will indicate somethings wrong with it ? I checked the wiring harness last night its attached fine and nothing was broken or lose wire wise that I could see.

I did have a engine light come on a few months ago saying there was a fault on the front lambda sensor before the cat and I thought hang on I changed that last year must be working ok. So cleared the fault, if never returned, but I'm now suspecting it might be goosed ? (I changed it 12 months roughly ago as it came up with an engine light, I would clear the light and it would immidiately come back on till I sorted the problem, so I thought if it was a fault it would show a MIL lamp to let me know but I know this things can be tricky.

Appreciate the advice Harry :)

Reply to
munki

Not switching indicates a fault, the voltage depends on the sensor type.=

Reply to
Duncan Wood

on 05/09/2009, munki supposed :

The fact that the voltage does vary in response to the exhaust output, is the important part.

Why do you think the lamda might be at fault?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

About a month or so ago an engine warning light came on, I scanned it and it said basically the lambda s1 b1 is not functioning. I erased the fault code, and it never came back. But I have a nagging feeling it might be the culprit. The reason for ignorning it was I changed that lambda in question within 12 months. I checked on it, and it seated ok, wires intact etc so just erased it thinking nothing off it other thanm aking a written note. I was told a lambda can die at anytime, I just thought I've done less than 5k on it and its died was not likely.

Reply to
munki

You should be able to get a new one for much less than that on Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)