The fiesta burning Oil

Hi,

I've had a good look at my engine today, the 1.25l Zetec-SE 1998. The spark plugs have tips and insulators that look fine - slightly beige. The bottoms of the threaded bits are a bit coated in carbonised oil but not excessively so. Nothing a fingernail would not scrape off.

I'm getting near to having a replacement engine, or getting some quotes to redo the piston rings but before I do that I want to be sure that's what's wrong. Can anybody suggest a way to be sure other than dismantling? I really don't want to take the top and bottom off this engine as I don't have the kit or garage space to do it.

Do the EGR valves or oil separators go wrong on these engines? There is an oil separator boted to the front of the cylinder block that has the EGR valve in it and then a tube coming out of that which splits into two and both bits join the inlet manifold. Could the oil I'm losing be getting through here and into the cylinders that way? 1 litre in 500 miles? It would be a hell of a lot easier to sort out than piston rings!

Finally, If I do get a replacement engine, what guarantee do I have that it won't also have knackered oil control rings? Is it worth getting a short engine from Ford?

Mileage is about 80k but unverified. I got the car a year ago with 70k on it and is had been completely reliable for the last 10k miles.

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

why not just keep putting oil in it? it will be cheaper than another engine. have you tried using the correct oil?

Reply to
mrcheerful

I am using the correct oil - 5W30. I do wonder if "High Mileage" 10W40 would be better. What do you think? The Fiesta manual says 10W40 is OK in Zetec-SE engines but that 5W30 is better.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

use formula e oil only, and change it at least once a year

Reply to
mrcheerful

If, with a hot engine running at tickover, removing the oil filler cap results in the release of massive pressure then the PCV is blocked. If this was so however I would expect it to be leaking like a sieve externally, not burning it.

However, it;s worth checking.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What's Formula E oil?

I change it currently about once every 1500 miles because it's burnt it all!

But I do drain it all out ever six months and replace it and the filter anyway.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

In message , Tony Brett writes

Its the name for Fords own 5w-30 ACEA A1 spec oil.

It varies in price from £13 to £27 for 5 litres, depending on how greedy your local Ford dealer is.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

There is no massive release of pressure but with the filler cap off there is a significant flow of air out of the the oil filler orifice. It's like having your hand under a reasonably powerful hot air dryer in the gents (but with oil splatters!). Is this is problem?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Try raising the revs to 2500ish, if its still doing that i think its having serious blowby problems or the PCV is blocked. At idle its normal for some air to be pushed out but as the revs rise the PCV system should suck crank case pressure away and burn the vapours away. If the PCV cant cope it then blows out the cap etc. Its worth a bit more investigation before buying a new engine IMO.

When does it smoke?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

The airflow out of the orifice almost stops at 2500 rpm.

Never. Which is odd given the amount of oil it's burning!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Youre sure its not leaking and pooling somewhere? Can you park it on a slope (in either direction) - this made a leak on mine obvious. To be using a considerable amount of oil I'd expect to be able to see it or smell it very obviously in the exhaust.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I'm actually starting to smell it faintly inside the car when I'm driving it now. Especially with the blower fan on. Not so as to be annoying but the smell is definitely there.

If it is pooling somewhere it must be a f***ing big pool by now! It's certainly not leaking out because I'd see it on the clean and light-colour garage floor.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

sounds more to me of a blocked breather-pipe some where, the fumes( small droplets of oil created by the movement of the engines internal parts) are being pushed through a breather pipe and most probably into the inlet. this would account for no signs of a leak.

Reply to
bongo

Also would account for smell with fan on - blocked breather like the PCV would high pressure in crank case so likely to be misting from some other breather under the bonnet and being sucked into the cabin. If it were burning it I'd expect you to be smelling it at the exhaust, noticably.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

In message , Coyoteboy writes

Sorry to bring everyone back to earth but as previously mentioned, the Zetec SE is known to shatter the oil control rings if its been treated badly in the past. The symptoms are right, the mileage is right. My money is on the rings :-(

Reply to
Paul Giverin

and of course if the cat is doing its job it will burn the oil smoke in the exhaust, only time to check for oil smoke is the first couple of miles while the cat is cold.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

mrcheerful . wrote:

Of course this is a known problem and may well be the cause but as long as the guy is able to do his own work on it he might as well check out the cheaper possibilities first.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

OK - so I've had this car from 70,000 miles to its current 80,000 miles. I drive fairly hard but not stupidly so. Certainly not when it's not warmed up and rarely over 5000 revs.

Why am I seeing this now rather than 10,000 miles ago?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Fatigue failure doesnt show up until its time, then it dies. If it were a ring/ringland it could be a case of fatigue i suppose.

Reply to
Coyoteboy