Thief nicked my locking wheel nut adapter!!

Just wondering if anyone can help? Last night, someone broke into my car and took some stuff from the boot, my CD's (luckily copies of the originals) and my locking wheel nut adapter. The cost of the stuff taken was a lot less than the cost to replace the broken glass (gits). However, i need to get hold of a locking wheel nut adapter. I do not know the model of the alloys, or the locking wheel nuts. Are they a standard adapter (which seems unlikely)? If they are, i guess Halfords would stock it. If they are not, how do i remove the old set to replace with new ones? Any ideas or info would be much appreciated regards Neal

Reply to
NealUK

Dunno but id put some more locking nuts on ASAP even if that means having 2 locking nuts on 1 new 1 without a key for the moment as it would seem to me the main object of breaking the car was to rob the key,

thus enabling the theif to half inch the wheels,??

no?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Eminently sensible advice - if you haven't been able to put some fresh locking nuts on, some extra security precautions (garage? dog? lights left on?) would be sensible, as there's no telling when Mr Scumbag and his mates will be back with jack and wheelbrace. The McGard lockers as sold in Halfords & elsewhere are recommended, they seem to be more resistant than most. As to getting the originals off - you are right, these is no single key - although OEM nuts often have as few as six permutations, and it's not uncommon for the lowlife to have a complete set for one make. Many garages will have a nut cracking tool, which will remove most of the 'softer' locking nuts in a fairly destructive manner. Alternatively, you can try just hammering a socket over the nut, but be prepared for both nut and socket to be destroyed.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Don't know if it will work with yours but I bought a car with locking nuts on and no key. I just jammed a large screwdriver in and used a large moveable spanner to get them off. They came off easy pointless protection if even a novice like me could get em off easy.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Park the car over at a mates house until you can get it sorted on the weekend........

Reply to
Tim

Unless your mate lives in a dodgy area of course.

Reminds me of the time a mate of mine told me off for leaving my locking wheel nuts in the car (he always leaves them in his house apparently), he thought I was stupid cos if someone broke into my car then they could have my alloys away. He shut up when I pointed out what would happen if I had a puncture/blow out - buggered, unable to change to the spare wheel. There be a lesson there for all that keep their locking nuts away from their cars.

Reply to
Johnny

Keeping the locking nuts on the wheels may be best, they're not much good in the car or in the house :-)

Seriously though, I'd say keep the locking wheelnut key in the car but hidden. I'd say in the boot, in the gap under the spare wheel would be a pretty good place. Wrap it up in a cloth or some carrier bags or something to stop it bouncing around and clanging against the sides of the wheel well

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

My dad hollowed out some of the foam from under the back seat for the same purpose

Reply to
Tom Burton

Isn't this just another reason why alloy wheels are a Bad Thing?

They get nicked, they are easily damaged if curbed, they corrode badly if you live near the sea, they are expensive, and older ones seem to cause tyres to leak air. I put them in the same category as light-up windscreen jets. What's wrong with steel wheels?

Reply to
Steve Burt

seat for the same

Thing?

corrode badly if

to cause

What's wrong

With the same size wheels. Nothing, apart from appearance. But, if you want a firmer ride, with less tyre flexing, a larger dia ally wheel with a lower profile tyre is usually your only choice. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Also, alloys are often heavier than the steel wheels they are replacing!

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

Don't see why they have to be alloys though; my experience of alloys is that they are indeed a real pain in the bum, to the point that on my most-recent car purchase I specced steel wheels instead of the factory-fit alloys. Same section and profile of tyre fits both alloy and steel rim.

Reply to
PJML

Depends whether you spec pretty ones or functional ones :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

And these ones came with the car when i bought it. So, unless i want to spend loads of cash on some steel ones, i'll stick with them.

Reply to
NealUK

I bought a car with no key to the alloys. Removal of locking nuts is easy without a key. I was shocked, it took him less time to remove without a key than I could WITH a key. Find yourself a dodgey garage in the backside of town, they will usually know all the tricks, take the car so they can see what sort they are. You could try the manufacturers, motoring organisations etc but they are rarely the quickest and easiest solution.

PS Sorry to hear of the break-in, there is plenty of low-life scum about.

Reply to
Duncan

Yes, you're right. At least you knew what I meant :o)

Reply to
Johnny

That's an argument for never owning anything nice.

Poor quality ones do.

They go rusty in 2 years.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

My mate bought a second hand car with lock nuts, he just hammered an oversize socket over them and undid them just like that. Is it really that easy to get them off?

puzzled from Dunfermline. :)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Keep an eye on Ebay - you often see new sets of wheels for auction. You'll probably make a profit if you buy steel and sell your alloys, and may well get a brand new set of tyres into the bargain.

Reply to
Bob Davis

One the last few cars I've had, the alloys and steels supplied as standard are exactly the same size - the only reason for the alloys is cosmetic. I wouldn't change steel wheels over to alloys, however, if I buy a car that already has alloys, then it's just a bonus.

I do find that plastic trims are a bit of a pain, though - I've lost 2 in as many weeks now. Think it's time to get down the scrappie and see if I can get a set of the proper Nissan jobs, as nothing fits better than OEM, IMHO.

Reply to
SteveH