Thread locker

Hi,

I know this is a car forum but figured you all have been so helpful in the past you may be able to help me with a problem I have on my bike..

My bike has a heat shield on the exhaust that mounts using M6 cap screws with about 6-8mm of thread..

The problem is that after reassembling the exhaust this weekend and going for a short 15-20 mile ride 2 of the 4 machine screws had fallen out..

When I assembled it I didn't use any thread locker so it is my fault..

I have now been looking at the thread lockers out there, specifically loctite and none seem to handle high temperatures that would be found on a bike exhaust, I would imagine a bike exhaust would get up to about

300+ degrees C and the high temperature loctite only goes to 175 DegC and at that temperature it is only at about 25% of its full strength..

So what thread locker would you all suggest for this? ..and Where can I order it online?

Thanks

Reply to
WipeOut

put the thread locker on when the bike is cold and also put on some of them locking washers to stop it from coming loose with the vibration if the thread lock stuff is ok inside the engine I'm sure it'll be ok near the exhaust

Reply to
dojj

I use Loctite products regularly. AFAIK none of their screw, or retaining compounds can withstand temperatures much above 200 C, and I don't know of any similar product that does. Fitting some decent star washers, might retain them better than conventional spring washers, if that is what they have at present, but a sure way to prevent them coming unscrewed, is to cross drill the heads of the cap screws and wire them. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

Which has the advantage of historical precedent and looks really clever, too.

Reply to
Guy King

For locking the threads on Lantern internals, the only solution we've found that works is concentrated saline . But you need a new nut bolt every time.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Hermetite exhaust assembly paste will do the job. I have used it for a number of high temp applications including sealing in a loose exhaust valve seat on my lawnmower. Hasn't let me down yet. Available from all good motor factors and some bad ones.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Providing the wire is threaded in the right direction for each screw.:-) I have seen some efforts where the direction of unscrewing has not been taken into account. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G