Timing belt change - Ford Escort 55 Van

I've bought an ex-Royal Mail Escort 55 1.8D Van (2001, it's the Endura diesel engine, non-turbo) with 22,000 on the clock. I've got no evidence that there's been a timing belt change before I bought the van, so I'm very eager to get this job done soon.

Can some one explain what is usually done when a timing belt is changed on these models ? The last mechanic I spoke to about this mentioned something about "tensioners" (which I don't understand). Is some other belt changed as well as the timing belt ?

Cheers

Darren

Reply to
fuggled

These belts don't get done until 5years or 70,000 miles.

There are 2 belts on them. One to drive the camshaft, and one to drive the injection pump. Both belts are changed are changed at the same time on the later engines (99 on). It is usual practice to replace the 2 tensioners on the camshaft belt, as these are the usual reason for cambelt failure on these engines. They normal start rattling before they fail though. If you do do the timing belts, then it is advisable to replace the crankshaft oil seal, as these normally starting to leak by the time they get to 5years or 70k.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

There are two belts on these, one for the camshaft, and one for the fuel pump. Both have to be timed correctly. The tensioners are just pulleys that control where the belt runs, and how tight it is. Being very critical to the life of the belt, I would definitely change the lot.

Oh yes, you need special tools to do these.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I was in a ford diesel when the tensioner went reved it (not hard) and it sort of went zzzzzzzzzzzz,nasty noises and stopped (camshaft in 5 pieces). Plastic tensioner wheel broke up,trashed the belt and killed the engine, prolly 5 seconds from running ok to dead.

Reply to
George Spigot

I think you;ll find the recommended interval is 36k on these now.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Was still 70k the last time I checked, which was last week as I had an argument with my boss about it. And if it had changed, our technical support notifies us about these things very quickly.

Pre 98 engines are still 36k

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

But post 98 engines still break the belts just as the old ones did, without warning!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.