Timing chains: small Jap cars

Any web sites that list which cars have timing chains and which have timing belts? Looking for small cars with timing chain -- I know Micra has one. Any other small Jap models use timing chains?

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I think the majority of the Japs have reverted - for those that changed at all - to chains as it gives less "unexpected" failures. I do believe that all Suzuki engines have chains.

Reply to
gazzafield

Thanks, Gazza. I'd like to locate a website that lists models and years when the change occurred.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

The only one I am fairly sure of is the Micra which changed to a chain when it changed from the original boxy shape. I do believe the Yaris has a chain as well.

Reply to
gazzafield

I'm pretty certain the Yaris 1.4 D4D has a chain.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

If it even does need replacing, I think it's an engine out job on some models....But they should be good for at least 100K....

Reply to
john

100k? That's s**te, that. Not that much more than the more reliable of modern cambelt/tensioner designs. I'd want a chain to reliably last to at least 200k. And most will easily do that these days, provided servicing isn't neglected - which is important as chain tensioners are generally driven by oil-pressure, so that's extra-important.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

Well, I wouldn't be leaving a belt to anything like 100k no matter what the book said. Chains should last the life of the engine but they don't always and they're a major job to replace compared to a belt. They don't often snap but the noise is annoying, the more so because it's not usually worth fixing.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Chain noise is a sign of wear. My Saab 9000 has chain and is very quiet, I much prefer not to have to think that a belt will snap. Yes, a chain will last much longer. Chain replacement is expensive, but that should be divided with the long mileage life. If a chain needs changing, the sprockets should be changed at the same time.

Reply to
Johannes

Depends if said car was still going to be under warranty at the time. Despite my gut instinct, from everything I've heard, Ford Zetec engines seem to be good for that, though I'd be personally changing it at 60k, along with everything it drives, if it was out of warranty. But if I'd bought a car new, and at 100k it was still within the time and mileage restrictions of warranty, I'd take the chance, as it wouldn't be me paying for the damage.

On any fastidiously (sp?) maintained car, the chances of failure within, say, 200k or so, is *very* minimal. Past that, you've got to accept that nothing lasts forever. But on decent quality engines (BMW M50 for example), I've heard of them lasting for ages longer than that, I think. Depends how you define "the life of the engine", in terms of milage. For someone buying a car new, keeping it for 10 years or so, and doing 10-15k/year, then no problems. For someone doing 30-40k/year over a similar period, they might have to expect to change it once.

Indeed.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I don't really understand why a chain should be expensive to replace. Surely you split the old chain, attach the new chain to the old, and pull it through, joining it with a 'soft link'?

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, the biker in Steve shows up again. Maybe that would be too easy?

Reply to
gazzafield