Tips on maintenance for a new driver.

Hi,

I'm a learner driver. I don't know anything about car maintenance.

Recently bought second hand peugeot 206. Please help me maintain my car.

Thanks!!

Reply to
newdriver2006

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Get yourself on a car maintenance evening class. It's not really something that can be taught-by-reading, you're far better off doing hands-on learning.

Reply to
Adrian

Haynes manual, and possibly a basic mechanics evening class.

Following the manurfactuer's recommended servicing is most important, however the group would surely suggest finding a reputable local garage (word of mouth is the biggest recommendation) and taking the car there, rather than Pugueot

If you are planning on keeping the car for afew years, a 6monthly oil and filter change and a quick check up is the best preventitive maintanance there is.. (followed by Pug's recommended servicing at 12months)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Seconded. And get one of those Halfords Pro range toolkits.

Reply to
Conor

Grab a Haynes manual for your car. Keep it well serviced.

Make sure your oil, coolant, brake fluid etc are all topped up.

Drive it gently and it'll treat you well. :)

Reply to
magicman

If you have a friend who does their own maintenance ask them to show you basic things like oil filter, spark plug and air filter changes.

Buy the appropriate Haynes manual. It's useful as a fault finding guide even if you end up having the repairs carried out by a garage.

A brilliant book which covers the basics of car mechanics is called something like "Fundamentals of motor vehicle technology" and is written by V A W Hillier.

Good luck, David.

Reply to
David Linley