TORX size

What size TORX driver is needed to remove the rear screen washer outlet / light module on a 2004 Focus hatchback?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

T25

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thank you.

Reply to
Alt Beer

What size TORX driver is needed to remove the rear screen washer outlet / light module on a 2004 Focus hatchback?

Thanks

I just had to change mine recently wish they had used a normal screw would match the rest of the cheapness on the car lol instead of fancy torx screws.

Reply to
Jeff

Hardly "fancy". They're used widely, and have been for years. Anybody without a set of torx drivers now is asking to get stuck half way through a job.

Reply to
Adrian

On older vehicles it is crosshead screws that disintegrate to the extent that they can't be undone, whereas old torx can still be undone. Case in point same sort of item on tailgate: w plate focus brake lamp:all torx still undoable 52 plate daewoo with crossheads, only one of four would undo, the others stayed there, I had to remove the entire trim with the number plate lamps in order to change the bulbs and of those screws (larger crossheads) one had rotted away so that there was no thread. For woodwork, torx are more reliable to insert easily, especially in awkward places, and I imagine that in production lines there is that few seconds per car improvement that is worth it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's where the real score is, AIUI. The bits can't cam out like they do on Philips/Pozidrive crossheads, and the screw stays on the end unlike flathead. ISTR there's an advantage over hex/allen, too, but don't recall what.

I particularly _hate_ previously-mullered crossheads, with virtually round openings in the head.

Reply to
Adrian

Have you tried using any of the EZ grip type products? We use it all the time on aircraft fasteners and it really does work 90% of the time on badly worn screwheads.

Paul Giverin

They're a lot easier to autofeed.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yeah, they're not borderline round to start with(!)

Oh, and £$%^&*^%$£ Inverse Torx on a Renault Kangoo water pump[1]. Tiny E8 size (equiv socket is 1/4") and made of cheese (as per usual.) Ended up dangling[2] an angle grinder into the tiny gap between wing and engine.

Scott

[1] Bit of a non-sequiter but think of this part of the post as therapy. [2] Near as dammit literally - hardly any room for hands to hold it.
Reply to
Scott M

alright, so why did VW have to invent yet another version of torx: the Riba spline, aaargh

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yeah, they're not borderline round to start with(!)

Oh, and £$%^&*^%$£ Inverse Torx on a Renault Kangoo water pump[1]. Tiny E8 size (equiv socket is 1/4") and made of cheese (as per usual.) Ended up dangling[2] an angle grinder into the tiny gap between wing and engine.

Scott

[1] Bit of a non-sequiter but think of this part of the post as therapy. [2] Near as dammit literally - hardly any room for hands to hold it.

I really like Paul Giverin's post in this thread, but it appears to have gone un-noticed.

(I repair electronic equipment for a living and am intrigued enough to buy some of this stuff)

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I haven't tried that, it looked to be a form of superglue, but I do have diamond coated screwdriver bits and bits with anti cam out ribs which both seem to work very well.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's the alternative to Torx+, lower camout, easier lead in & Longer too= l =

life on the production line.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I haven't tried that, it looked to be a form of superglue, but I do have diamond coated screwdriver bits and bits with anti cam out ribs which both seem to work very well.

It claims to be minute solid cubes of aluminium in a carrying agent.

So I assume it is some way of filling in the gaps on knackered heads and tools with spiky things that don't easily move amongst themselves, thus enabling the tool to better grip the fastener.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I will get some and give it a whirl, that daewoo the other week would have been the perfect test!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's not like superglue. The closest description I can give is a more viscous form of grinding paste. I've been using it for about 8 years now and I remember the first time I saw it. I was so sceptical that a gritty fluid could grip worn screwheads but I was so wrong. We also use ribbed bits which are fine when they are new but not so good when the ribs start to wear with repeated use.

On aircraft we have to remove a lot of external panels where the screws are tight from age and exposure to the elements. The screws seem to be very soft and the heads chew up fairly easily. Not sure how much this stuff costs as employer provides it but it doesn't get used on every screw so a small bottle lasts well over a year.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

It didn't seem very dear when I saw it, I will get some and try it. Thanks.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

How does that work then?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

To quote from their website:-

"Each drop of our Aircraft Grade solution has thousands of hardened aluminum cubes in a non-toxic, food grade antifreeze carrying agent. These building blocks provide a temporary bridge between the tool and stressed fastener heads for easy screw removal and bolt removal. It has no silicones to hinder sealing/painting operations on metal surfaces. So, no problem with worn screw removal and bolt removal operations while performing aircraft maintenance."

Reply to
Paul Giverin