Toyota Celica ABS light on

Dear all,

I have the chance of buying a 1.8ST T reg Toyota Celica, through the auctions, at a very good price, trouble is the ABS light is on. It came on as soon as I turned the ignition on and didn't go out when the engine started. Obviously as the car is at the auctions so I don't have any access to it, so I'm considering taking a calculated risk !.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this ? and how expensive are the parts ?

I guessed at:-

ABS pump ! (ouch) Wheel sensor. Wiring fault.

Anything else that causes that light to come on ?

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul W

It's most likely a wheel sensor, but could be wiring or the ABS ECU, ABS ECUs are a little pricy. The ABS mechanism itself (valveblock etc) is usually very reliable.

-- James

Reply to
James

Friend of mine had an ABS unit go on his Nissan

200SX while covered under warranty. £1400.

Of course you can still drive with faulty ABS, it's just that the antilock system doesn't function.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

And you'll fail the MOT :-)

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

True. Apparently they check that the ABS light comes on, then goes off again, so you can't even take out the bulb. (That would be a fairly stupid thing to do anyway!)

I definitely wouldn't purchase a car with an undiagnosed ABS fault.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

That all depends on how cheap the car is.

At worst it might need a new ABS actuator or a new ECU or a new wheel sensor, and a diagnostic fault code reader would be able to tell you which, since the system obviously knows it a has fault somewhere.

-- James

Reply to
James

Toyota electrohydraulic unit ('valve block') is something over £2000 I think, and secondhand units will be hard to come by - so be careful. You may have found the reason the car is at auction!

Reply to
Microstar

However , not the most common fault . Course if when you read the fault codes that is the problem you can always chuck it back in tje auction.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I had a similar problem on a Porsche 944 a few years ago - the light would sometimes do what you describe, other times it came on when driving. Porsche dealer replaced wheel-sensors ~700quid, then they took the dash apart to check wiring ~700 quid, then they wanted to replace the ABS computer. I gave up on them at this point and the garage I bought it from and myself tracked it down to a dodgy relay. While waiting for it to arrive, I took the old relay apart and found a dry-joint inside. I resoldered it and the problem was cured.

You could be looking at a very cheap, or very expensive solution - a bit of a gamble.

Aaron.

Reply to
Aaron Anderson