Toyota Corolla 1.3 SE Cambelt change

My daughter has a 2000 reg TC with the 1.3 engine which I *think* has a cambelt. As far as we're aware, it's never been changed.

Are there any particular gotchas to this job? Any useful tips? I wouldn't normally tackle a job like this but garage prices would probably be a significant proportion of the car's worth so I'm tempted to have a go myself.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

the belt should be changed every five years or 63000 miles, whichever comes first. it is straightforward if you are used to cam belts and have a fairly good toolkit. If not then look for a mobile cambelt service. It is a 2 hour job so a rough guide price would be about 200 quid all in.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

From Autodata:

Replacement interval is 63,000 miles, or 5 years. Remove and install time is 2.2 hours. (Assuming PAS and AC.)

Three special tools are mentioned, together with data for checking the free length of the tensioner spring.

Unless you are fairly experienced, I would advise getting some prices first.

I will try to find a way to publish the data; ATM, I can only print it to paper.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

the special tools are the ones for holding and pulling off the crank pulley, most mechanics will be able to make do for those.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Don't worry, just after I posted I remembered that I have an old copy of the Autodata disk! Doh!

The disk mentions a few special tools. Are these essentials or just nice to have? I suspect my puller won't fit in the space available. Is this something that can be improvised or should I buy the Toyota tool?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Would that include tensioner replacement (or is that not routinely necessary on this engine)?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

A cam belt kit will usually include the tensioner and spring, best to change tensioner unless you are really certain the old one is good. One of the tools is merely to hold the pulley still while undoing/doing it up, one is the handle for that holder ! The puller may not be needed at all, I made one for a similar application out of heavy flat bar and used the crank bolt to pull the pulley off, YMMV I expect the genuine tool would be telephone numbers to buy.

Reply to
Mrcheerful