Toyota Landcruiser fuel gauge problem

All of a sudden my fuel gauge is reading about 1/2 what it should. Full tank shows half, half a tank shows 1/4 etc. Any ideas where the problem lies or how to find the problem please. Sender in fuel tank? Gauge on dashboard? Something between fuel tank & dashboard?

This is an old Landcruiser, 1990, and one of the last 24 volt versions as far as I know.

Many thanks

Sunbeam

Reply to
Sunbeam

Sounds like the system has two senders and one is permanently reading empty either through being jammed or a damaged connection. See if you can find them and measure their resistance (with the loom disconnected.) Whichever one reads 0ohm or open circuit should be the duffer (ie, the working one will have some moderate resistance.)

Reply to
Scott M

probably a leaking float half full of fuel on the sender unit.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful