Toyota Wheel Trim Recall

My Avensis was in for a recall today. The recall related to the wheel trims potentially moving and interfering with the valve and ultimately damaging the valve and causing the tyre to deflate. According to the VOSA website affected vehicles would have alloy wheels fitted; this seems an expensive approach to me. When I collected the car the garage confirmed the recall work had been done but there were certainly no alloy wheels on my car!

Is anybody aware of this particular recall and can they advise if Toyota have come up with am ore cost effective solution? I want to be sure that the necessary work has been completed.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hehe no you don't you just want some free alloys :-) Which is fair, I'd be the same heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Nice shiney alloy wheels for free did cross my mind, but, to be honest I am not that bothered about the alloys as my wife uses the car from time to time so they potentially would get damaged anyway as the Avensis is far bigger than her Yaris (she has a tendency to use the kerb as a guide when parking!) My main concern is to be sure the rework has been completed

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Andy ( snipped-for-privacy@nospamformehotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reference : R/2006/165 Manufacturer Ref : rnp/mif/037 Make: TOYOTA Model : AVENSIS Launch Date : 21/11/2006 Numbers Involved : 39 Build Start Date : 08/05/2006 Build End Date : 19/06/2006

Details Concern : POSSIBILITY OF TYRE DEFLATION Description : On certain Avensis vehicles equipped with 16 inch steel wheels, due to the shape of the wheel trim there is a possibility that the edge of the wheel trim may interfere with the sidewall of the tyre. Should this occur, whilst the vehicle is being driven, the wheel trims may rotate, which could lead to interference with the tyre valve. In the worst case, and if the vehicle is continuously driven in this condition, loss of tyre pressure could ensue. Remedial Action : Recalled vehicles will have the steel wheels (standard equipment) replaced with aluminium alloy wheels. Vehicle Id : SB1BR56L#0E163480 to SB1BR56L#0E166020 SB1ED56L#0E001899 to SB1ED56L#0E002404 SB1DD56L#0E002416 to SB1DD56L#0E003153 SB1DR56L#0E163333 to SB1DR56L#0E167862

Reply to
Adrian

!
Reply to
DervMan

Yep and citroen c5`s steel wheels are actualy alloy confused me when I first removed one as they are so light !

Reply to
Tim-mz500r

I have seen the recall on the VOSA website which states that alloy wheels will be fitted. However alloy wheels have not been fitted to my car following the recall work; my question is "have Toyota found a more cost effective solution such as different wheel trims?"

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Read my answer above our citroen wheels manufactured by michelin look like normal steel wheels but are alloy just a note, do not know if toyota are the same ?

Reply to
Tim-mz500r

Have you tried the Toyota customer care number?

Reply to
DervMan

D'oh, I didn't complete my post.

I'd suggest telling them that you have no evidence of a change in wheel (assuming it's the same wheel) and you're worried that the recall has been glossed over.

Reply to
DervMan

The message from "Andy" contains these words:

Hi Andy,

I was interested in you comments. My Avensis T2 wasn't on the recall list, but I have noticed that the wheel trims on the front wheels have slipped round, against the valves. In the past I've noticed this with other cars (not Toyota) too.

I'll try repositioning the trims. I've noticed that they are secured with cable ties. Does anyone know whether garages use a special tool for fixing the cable ties, or is it just a question of pulling tight?

BTW was your Toyota on the recall list for the steering problem?

Regards

Clive

Reply to
Clive