Trace a leak in my Fiesta.

There is a small, but annoying leak from my Zetec Fiesta. I don't really know if it's oil, or PAS fluid, and would like to ask if anyone has seen this so often, that they can guess at the most likely cause. There are drops on the underside of the sump, but of course, gravity will take most things there. OTOH, there are traces around the union on the top of the PAS pump, but of course, oil could have crept there. Everything in between and around that area is wet. If it's PAS fluid, it must be a very slow leak, because I have not yet had to top it up. The oil does occasionally get topped up; but again, there are no drops on the drive, so it must be very slow leak. The steering does make an annoying hissing noise on full lock, but maybe that's normal?

Reply to
Enrico Cadillac

engine oil will generally be dirty brown, while pas fluid will be red or green usually.

Best bet is to have the engine steam cleaned and then inspect it, cam box leaks are not unknown, IIRC there is a new cover/gasket made which cures warped covers. But it does depend on exactly which engine and what year.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Good point, but now that I come to look, there are no drops to collect and inspect. I wonder if it was a leaking oil filter gasket? I changed the oil filter a few weeks ago - maybe it was spreading from that before I changed it?

Reply to
Enrico Cadillac