track rod end

Hi,

Vauxhalls eh, hmph...another small problem with my 1.2 corsa. The helicopter is now fixed, yay! (It was indeed just one of the front wheel bearings, so thanks to mr niceguy for workin that one out for me) But my N/S/F track rod end is damaged and it could do with fixing, and ive been told the part is about =A311, not pricey; but, i was just wondering what exactly the track rod does, and is the end of it a part that can be raplaced without replacing the whole rod? oh and does it involve removing the track rod balljoint, because haynes says that this would mean having to do wheel alingment checks/adjustment.

Thanks for your help again everyone.

John.

Reply to
PurpleHannibal

But my N/S/F track rod end is damaged and it could do with fixing, and ive been told the part is about £11, not pricey; but, i was just wondering what exactly the track rod does,

It's the bit that joins the steering arm to the track rod and allows the former to push the latter from side to side as you move the steering wheel.

and is the end of it a part that can be raplaced without replacing the whole rod?

Yes. Frequently done.

oh and does it involve removing the track rod balljoint, because haynes says that this would mean having to do wheel alingment checks/adjustment.

The track rod end is complete with ball joint. In fact that's what it is really, a ball joint with connections to the steering arm and track rod. When you screw the new one onto the track rod in place of the old you may not get it precisely to where the old one was. In which case, you'd need to have the tracking checked. Having said that, it's likely that the new one will be a replica of the old and the tracking will be the same if you mark how far along the threads the old one is before you unscrew it. Usually there's a lock nut which needs to be undone first. Just undo it a fraction of a turn then you know how far to screw the new T/R end on.

There's no guarantee that the tracking will be accurate, though. But is it right now anyway?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

It connects the steering rack to the front wheel assy. If it fails the wheel is free to turn completely independantly. You'll have seen the cars at the side of the road wit one wheel pointing stright and the other side in a seemingly impossible lock?

Thats exactly what needs doing. A track rod end is the ballojint end.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks to everyone for all the interesting info.

of the track rod end. And they can often seize, meaning you need to get a blowtorch involved to use heat to unseize them.

That really doesnt sound like much fun. When you say seized, was your steering noticably knackered then? I cant actaully notice much of a problem with mine, just the occasional odd noise when turning, and a squeak which might not be related. Although it probably is.

tracking doing on my s**te old Vauxhall (mk2 Astra van), and needed the track rod end doing as well.

I think what we learn from having bought vauxhalls is simply...dont buy vauxhalls. I realised that in america, for 19000 dollars, you can get a basic mustang gt 3.0 v6. Thats about the same price as a 1.7 diesel corsa these days. Not that im praising the new mustang, but for the same price as a corsa?

Thanks again to everyone for all your information, it all makes a lot more sense to me now. :)

John

Reply to
PurpleHannibal