Tracking after suspension change

Hi all,

Hope I'm not going to start another argument but here goes.... I'm going to buy two new tyres and am wondering whether to put them on the front or the back.... no, actually I jest :)

Actually my query is after changing the front suspension arms on my Fiesta what tracking alignment is necessary and whether anyone has any recommendations for the Milton Keynes area?

Thanks again,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

How about both on the nearside because they are in the gutter most of the time?

Well, the tracking needs to be checked, and set to the maker's figures if incorrect.

Move.

You're welcome.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've heard people mutter about "4-wheel alignment" but don't know how that differs from the normal type (don't think the rear wheels are adjustable!) or if it's any benefit.

Standard response from someone who has never lived here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings (Peter Spikings ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'd be gobsmacked if anything bar the actual tracking was adjustable on a Fester, although there will be official Ford specs for toe, camber, castor for both front and rear wheels. No point whatsoever in doing anything more than finding a local cheerfully competent back street tyre bloke and bunging him a drinking voucher.

Hell, toe's easy enough to DIY check with two bits of wood and a tape measure...

Reply to
Adrian

OK, though has anyone had any experience of using one of these:

Looks like a neat idea!

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

I bought one, it was very expensive and inaccurate, I gave it away.

You can accurately check the tracking with string and a steel tape measure, with great accuracy I might add.

But paying a garage twenty quid to check it with a lazer tracking setup is easier.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

================================== Make your own tracking gauge; this is mine, made from stuff bought at B&Q:

The cost was less than £20-00 but could be done for much less.

I haven't tried the 'Trakrite' but you can get one on Ebay for about £40-00p

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

When I tried that, I found the string was a bit too stretchy, hence the suggestion of wood.

Reply to
Adrian

I did that and they found that each wheel has 1 degree toe-in so they readjusted it but guess what? On the way back I quickly realised that when I hold the steering straight the car veers to the right slightly. GRRRR, how hard can it be to adjust each track rod by the same amount?

Needless to say, I'm taking it back to get it sorted.... Will also think about building my own gauge or figuring out how to check it with string / wood :)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Spikings

That may not be because of incorrect tracking, I would look at tyres first.

Generally it is usual to set the steering wheel straight and lock it in position, then adjust the tracking on each side so as to give the right toe setting. (rather than just move each side the same amount)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes, that's what they did, presumably because it doesn't involve revisiting each side until both are right :) However I'm confident that if it was off before they adjusted it then I'd have noticed. I'm going to drop in on them after work and see what they say.

I've had this before where after an adjustment the steering was off so much that the auto indicator cancelling didn't work anymore on one side, maybe the device that holds the steering wheel in place doesn't work too well?

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

OK, been back.... another guy spent 25 minutes fiddling behind the left wheel at one point shouting out to another mechanic: "I bet you can guess what the problem is". Half way through he unlocked the steering and put it on full right lock. When eventually finished I asked him what was wrong, he looked shifty and claimed he didn't know. Then said that I should let it settle in before bringing it back if it's still not right (which I heard as "let yourself get used to it being out and then treat it as fixed"). It's fine now!

Hmm.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Peter Spikings (Peter Spikings ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Track rod adjustment on one side was a bit seized, and rather than be arsed to free it off, they'd done it the quick way and put all the adjustment on the other side.

Reply to
Adrian

[...]

Erm... Adrian, you know that problem you used to have, where everything got posted four times?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

He's just making sure we agree with him :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Very plausible, if so then presumably it was the left side which was seized as it was this that got worked on exclusively the second time round.

I bet I've gone from +1 degree of toe-in on each wheel at the start to

+1 on the left and -1 on the right hence the veering to the right. Now it's set to -1 on both as the steering is OK again but tracking is out (all figures relative to the slight toe-in it's supposed to have).

They're not doing very well at keeping my custom.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Ian Dalziel (Ian Dalziel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian