Traffic Trap

The car on the right is on a collision course with oncoming traffic! In case you haven't noticed, there is a small "keep left" sign before the division.

As the road spreads out, you might think that if you want to go south, you need to take the right hand fork. But this is not a fork! The road to the left with the traffic lights leads into a roundabout where you can continue either north or south. The lanes after the yellow bollards are one-way only. Of course road the markings are officially correct, but with a high propability that a mistake will be made.

Reply to
johannes

And that 40 sign doesn't help...

Reply to
Gordon H

Exactly, and why have they put it on the right hand side?

Reply to
johannes

I also once took the right hand side, but realised my mistake at the last moment before oncoming traffic. Quickly reversed into the left hand side. Spotted this on StreeView, so I'm not the only one...

Reply to
johannes

So that you can see it if there is a HGV in front of you. And, of course, there is a post there anyway for the oncoming traffic to see their limit.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Because it's part of a "gate" and, as per regs, there's one either side.

I don't quite see how the confusion can arise. To get where the RH car is you have to cross the central white line while in a two way road - see Driving 101. Is there something further back (or the general road layout of the area) that makes people think it's a dual carriageway then?

Reply to
Scott M

Hard to tell when there is an enormous sign just before the view shown, that shows that the road goes to the left and joins a big roundabout.

Northern way, Reading. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4254462,-0.9826627,3a,75y,33.45h,79.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSn5oJdRLRBxydx40e4B3Ng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reply to
MrCheerful

And then there's a 'Keep Left' arrow at the 'fork'.

Reply to
Davey
[...]

Would it not comply if the 40 sign was moved to the same location as the keep left bollard? That would make it much more obvious IMHO.

The other way to make it clearer would be to use a cross-hatching marking on the lane divider.

It looks confusing to me; if you were unfamiliar with the area, and struggling with navigation, it doesn't look obvious what you should do at all.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4254462,-0.9826627,3a,75y,33.45h,79.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSn5oJdRLRBxydx40e4B3Ng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 Well maybe, but road design needs to cater for the weakest link!

Your view would make it a much more obvious candidate for some additional paint on the centre line, either hatching or double white lines.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yep, could happily go on an island and I agree it would probably help the initial situation, it just seems there isn't much of an island to put it on which is probably how it ended up where it is.

FWIW, I loathe these speed limit changes on a junction. Many other, more important things to be concentrating on with the worst case side effect of getting done by a camera on the road you're joining.

I'm curious; which bit? It's a S/C road joining a large roundabout, not disimilar to any number of m'way junctions. Being on the "corner" of the roundabout does make the flow onto it a sharp left turn while the oncomming flow is a straight line, which could, at a push, make it seem like a left off-slip, but there's still got to be the working assumption of being on a D/C to cross the white lines.

Being on StreetView with the wide angle and somewhat birds eye view doesn't help view it as you'd see it from a car though.

Reply to
Scott M

I said that the markings are officially correct, but with a high proaility that a mistake will be made. I once nearly took the right branch, then I spotted the car on StreetView doing exactly the same. Call me the weakest link if you like. We all have weak moments...

Reply to
johannes