Transit cylinder head and diesel injector removal

Ok taking the cylinder head off my transit.

Haynes manual says remove the injectors. Easier said than done my ones seem stuck and not having a removal tool. Is it possible to leave the injectors in the head. The only reason I can think Haynes say remove them is to stop damage to the top of the pipes??

Or is there a trick to this. They are the stanadyne slim top injector.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

You don't /need/ to take them out.

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

I never did. Mostly 'cos the bastards were always stuck fast.

Reply to
Guy King

As others have said, you don't actually need to remove them, but if you leave them in make sure you don't put the head face down anywhere, as the tips of the injectors are proud of the head surface, and will be damaged. You will also have to be very careful when cleaning up the face of the cylinder head, not to damage them with your scraper.

On the other hand, it is fairly common for transit injectors to fail by the swan neck cracking where it joins the body of the injector, and if this ever happens to yours (which is pretty likely) then you will have to get the injectors out, one way or the other. It will be far easier to remove them now with the head off, than with it in situ. If you remove them all, clean them up and give them a generous coating of copperslip before refitting, then you will save yourself hours of work later on.

The trick to removing them is to soak well in diesel/penetrating oil, then tap them sharply side to side with a brass drift, to loosen them in the head, then use a bar in the slot on the side of the injector body to lift them up. If they will not budge, get a bar between the swan neck and the body and try to twist them gently, without using enough force to actually bend the swan neck, or you will cause later breakage.

Reply to
SimonJ