Transit rear springs

Hi guys.

I have a Rear wheel drive transit van Short Wheelbase 1999. Gross weight is listed in the V5 as 2340KG. It's a single wheel axle.

It has single leaf rear springs on the rear and I want to uprate them.

Does anyone know which springs will fit and if I an going to need the spring hangers as well ?

Any better ideas vlet me know.

Regards

Derek

Reply to
Derek Tidman

I'm trying to think about this. From memory, most SWB had GVW of about 2800kg, and I'm sure they had two or three leaf springs. I've not been under one for a while, but if I happen to find one at work, I'll have a look.

You're best bet is to visit a local branch of Serck (Marston or Intertruck - whatever they call themselves just now), and ask them. There is quite alot of choice in transit springs, but they should have a catalogue listing all the variations and dimensions. Provided you get replacement springs with the correct eye to eye measurement and centrebolt location, then you'll only need new spring U-bolts. But fitting heavier duty springs will throw out the load compensating valve calibration, and that's not quite so easy to fix.

And fitting heavier duty springs won't stop the police from pulling you and escorting you to the nearest weighbridge.

Reply to
moray

Spring hangers will be OK. You'll need longer U bolts though. Any similar model transit with multis will fit.

Reply to
Conor

Hi there

I have a towbar fitted and even when its patialy loaded the tow bar sits too low. So all I want to do is to beef it up a bit and have the trailer (which is only small) sit level. I have considered just getting a pair of springs from the scrap yard and cutting off the spring eyes and putting them underneath the existing ones with longer U bolts if needed.

I can't imagine that I would be lucky enough to get it right first time. This Van has anti locks so I wouldn't expect a compensator to be fitted.

Regards

Derek

Reply to
Derek Tidman

God Almighty, I hope not. I hope you do realise that they're clamped together..

Reply to
Conor

yes i'm thinking of replacing my 10yr old rear spings on my 3.5l intrepid. the heavest model. was wondering can i use springs meant for a heavier car to work n last longer? n big lots is carrying more in auto stuff.... any1 use oil additives?

Reply to
bob wald

No guarantee to them lasting longer. In fact they might not last as long as they'll be more prone to banging about on bumps when unladen/lightly loaded.

Reply to
Conor

If your only problem is getting your trailer to sit level then all you need is an adaptor plate. I've one here.. It's a plate 5" wide and 1/2" thick with two pairs of 3/4" holes, one pair above the other. These are available (quite cheaply) with the vertical-spacing of the holes 2", 3", 4" etc. You choose the plate which, with the ball bolted through the upper pair of holes, gives your trailer 'a level ride'.

Reply to
DB.

Single leaf springs aren't clamped of course ;-)

Regards Derek

Reply to
Derek Tidman

The problem only exists when the van is loaded most of the time its not so the adaptor plate won't really help.

THe springs are just not man enough for the job and they sag even when the van is half loaded. Uprating them seems like the best solution.

Regards

Derek

Reply to
Derek Tidman

Technically, those are only sold as dropper plates, and shouldn't be used to raise the height of the towball (all to do with vehicle stability).

I do know that we fitted them to raise certain tow balls at work, but the company had to get a special dispensation to do so.

Reply to
moray

Derek Tidman ( snipped-for-privacy@adams.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Umm, is that half-loaded as in weight or as in volume?

Reply to
Adrian

If my consignment's density is one-sixth that of water or more, then its volumetric weight is less than the normal weight in kilograms, whereas if its density is less than one-sixth that of water, then its volumetric weight is more than its weight in kilograms.

So I guess it depends :-)

Regards

Derek

Reply to
Derek Tidman

Derek Tidman ( snipped-for-privacy@adams.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed.

Let me phrase it another way...

When you say it's "half loaded", are you loading it to half the payload? Or are you loading it to half way up with lead bars...?

Reply to
Adrian

Lets assume its roughly half the payload. Basicaly it has a Saggy Bottom the rear will drop more than the front.

regards

Derek

Reply to
Derek Tidman