Transmission/Clutch Service

Hello,

I'm trying to find out what happens during the full service of a 2002 Toyota Celica with regard to the transmission/clutch. I know the clutch fluid levels are checked as it says so in a brief service guide with the car usage manual. Is it normal to check the wear on the clutch plate? Are clutch plate slip checks done?

My local Toyota dealer are telling me they just top up the fluid. It seems they don't check for wear on the clutch plate which seems a bit daft as it'll involve a breakdown at some point and the likelihood is I'll be three hundred miles from home when it happens. What is industry best practice regarding clutch plate checks?

JC

Reply to
John Christie

No. The only way a clutch can be checked for wear, is by physically examining it, which would mean removing it from the car.

No. It is normally left to the customer to report any problems with a clutch such as slipping or if it not working as it should.

Clutches seldom suddenly stop working, unless warning signs of any potential problems are ignored, which usually occur hundreds of miles before they fail completely. There are many reasons for cars to breakdown, but complete clutch failure is probably one of the least common causes.

What is

There aren't any, apart from checking the reservoir etc. That is unless a mechanic happens to notice something while the car is being serviced. Or as I have mentioned, the customer reports a fault with it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The clutch operation will be checked during the test drive.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Your comments might be Toyota specific but on some cars have inspection plates where it is possible to measure to friction material. Some others also do require a clutch inspection at a aprticualr service but I'm sure that's more to do with making the dealers money than it is anything else.

In reality I doubt anywhere would say anything at all about the clutch.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks for everyone's advice so far. Very helpful.

Let me explain the dilemma I have further. I took my car in for a full service and there were no problems with the service. The garage also valeted the car during the service unexpectedly (I presume this is why dealer services are more expensive). I drove back home after the service (20 miles) and encountered a problem. Basically, they had not refitted the drivers side car mat and I ended up with an accelerator jammed and the car accelerating out of control, so I took the car out of gear (I'm not sure if the clutch was fully depressed because of the mat, but it felt like it) which caused the engine revs to hit the red, so I switched off the engine and coasted to a halt. When I switched it back on the car didn't move off well. The man from the AA said the clutch was slipping badly.

Obviously I phoned the garage and complained, but they wouldn't entertain me. They graciously offered to fit a new clutch for 800 quid. I got it done locally as it was substantially cheaper. My car had 40k miles on the clock and had mostly done motorway miles. The Toyota garage said the incident shouldn't have burnt out the clutch, but I believe that the incident did burn out the clutch. I'm trying to argue that the car was in good condition when it left the Toyota garage and the poor fitting of the car mat was ultimately the cause of the burnt out clutch. Does it sound plausible?

JC

Reply to
John Christie

No. It is the drivers responsibility to ensure all controls are free to operate properly.

Reply to
Conor

From what you say, no, engine damage from excessive revs maybe, but not clutch.

Reply to
MrCheerful

On Feb 8, 7:27 pm, John Christie wrote: clutch. I'm trying to

Did you keep the old clutch?

Reply to
adder1969