Trying to start a Cavalier

1992 1.6L Carburettor Cavalier is struggling to start. I do not know the history of the car all I know is its been sitting around for a week and the battery has gone a little flat so I have tried jumping it but even when jumped it doesnt want to ignite, it just splutters and sometimes backfires mildly. Before anyone asks yes I have put fuel in! When trying top start her on crank if you put your foot on the gas sometimes she just dies completely which I find strange. Has anyone got any pointers or tips for me to follw on what I should check and what I should do to try and get her running that preferably doesnt involve "start ya bastard!"
Reply to
Sidmon

  1. Take out the plugs clean them - dry them out - regap them.
  2. Check to see that the petrol's getting up - take off the pipe from the fuel pump to the carb - might be an idea to let some of the petrol when you turn the key to go into the carb. (this test eliminates fuel and the pump faults)
  3. Check to make sure the choke unit is working.
  4. fully charge the battery.

hopefully this ill get you started.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Turned out to be a faulty rotor arm...it had actually burned through the resin. Replaced that and a dodgy looking dizzy cap and it then ran like a dream. It's nice to have problems that are easily cured!

Reply to
Sidmon

good work - though I got it wrong I assumed the motor was running OK before it was left for months.

Bill

Reply to
Bill