Tube behind battery audi a4

just being trying to remove battery in my R reg A4 (ended up charging it in situ), but then noticed a clear plastic tube about 1 foot long that comes out of hole in metal next to battery at left then goes to nowhere (currently !). It was behind or under the battery before I presumably dislodged it. It has a right angle plastic end on it looks like it should plug in somewhere. Any ideas what it is or where it goes ? Drainage maybe ?

thanks Rik

Reply to
Rik Smithies

Plugs into the battery if I remember correctly. If you have changed your battery at some point there may not be anywhere for it to attach to unless its the same as the original unit.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Rik Smithies decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

some batteries are vented. That pipe attaches to said batteries.

Reply to
Pete M

Battery vent pipe. Usually plugs in at the centre top side of the battery. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If it's about 5mm, it sounds like a battery vent. Found on most so called sealed batteries. Normally, the right angle is part of the battery and you disconnect the tube from that.

Some say it's to vent the hydrogen away from say a well sealed boot - to prevent possible explosion risk.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

It would solve the problem of sticking boot locks, though. A handy "ignitor over-ride" button.

Reply to
Guy King

thanks for the informed replies, I'll see if there is somewhere to stick it in the top of the battery. Rik

Reply to
Rik Smithies