Two different brands of oil

I have two different brands of 10/40 oil is it safe to mix them for a service ? or is this an receipe for disaster ?

Reply to
munki

Just check that both oils satisfies the minimum quality spec for your car. Look at the API and ACEA specs on the bottle.

Reply to
johannes

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:21:40 +0100, munki mumbled:

No, it's absolutely guaranteed to ruin your engine.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Oil is better than no oil.

Reply to
BGN

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:09:01 +0100, BGN mumbled:

Sorry, I'm being cantankerous, unhelpful and sarcastic today. To the OP - it'll be perfectly safe, just check the oil is the correct spec for your car. Some cars can be particularly fussy about the grade of oil they use.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Sarky git :)

GSF car parts used to religiously sell quantum oil now they say its been discontinued BUT this new one forgot the name titan or something is soooo much better. Both oil are 10/40, so guess its fine to top them up as such.

Reply to
munki

Fuchs.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No need to get abuse Mrcheerful :) ... thats the one.

Reply to
munki

Mix them in test tubes like a mad scientist would. Just in case!

Reply to
Mark W

It's never done any harm to my cars since the days of 20W50. Now semi and fully synthetics can be mixed. That's why main dealers will top up the oil if required. They don't know the brand! The brand means nothing anyway, it is all made by the same few companies. I had one car that used to drink semi-synthetic and was within manufacturer tolernce levels. It did over 200,000miles with various brands of oil. An earlier car did 193,000miles before the head gasket went. That also had any old make, usually the cheapest oil, thrown in. That car had a slight oil seal leak, but wasn't worth paying out to fix.

So yes you can mix different brand names providing the type is the same. Look at the labels.

I even used Slick 50 snake oil in one car and due to a gasket blowing I had managed to lose all the oil on a 30mile journey. Got it fixed, threw some cheap oil in of the correct type and off it went again!

Reply to
Clive

Quantum oil is the oil VW supply through their dealerships - ie, it's VW OE oil. Fuchs also meets varying VW specs depending on which oil you buy. I suspect that they are much of a muchness...

Reply to
Doki

If you're going to be doing dangerous stuff like that, don't forget the goggles. And asbestos gloves. Helmet. Face mask. Steel toe caps, flak jacket, knee pads, elbow pads, ear defenders.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Ignore Clive. He doesn't know the difference between his arse and a hole in the ground.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

However he is right about you being able to mix them completely safely.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

Thus proving the law of averages...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, but usually he's wrong

No, because usually he's wrong.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

They should have "For Fuch's sake, use the correct oil for your engine and don't risk ruining it" as an advertising slogan.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Thus spake AstraVanMann ( snipped-for-privacy@swerveweb.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Reminds me of the owner's manual for a Puch Maxi moped I had many years ago, which contained the warning (best read in the thickest German accent you can muster) "Using the incorrect type of oil is punishable." They don't half know how to bark rules at you, these Germans. Or Austrians, actually.

Reply to
A.Clews