Typical quantity for a full-system brake fluid change?

I intend to perform a complete brake fluid renewal, at least as far as a four-corner bleed with fresh fluid allows, and having not done this before was wondering what quantity of fluid I should have available?

I appreciate the exact amount must vary between cars but even a ballpark idea would be useful i.e. 1 litre, 2 litres, more? I don't want to be cut short...

In case someone has access to such data the car in question is a '99 Hyundai Coupe with ABS.

Incidentally, and just to really show my ignorance, is new fluid noticeably different in appearance to old? Specifically, will I easily be able to spot the new fluid having reached each caliper?

Many thanks,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

For our Lupo it's quoted as 2 litres- 400-500ml from each wheel, so probably slightly over that for your car.

You'll only spot the new fluid if the old stuff is quite old- it goes darker with age.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

IIRC it took just over 2.5L for my car.

Reply to
Depresion

Thank you both for the responses - I'll get 3L just to be on the safe side.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton