Tyre Tread Shedding

Does anybody know what is likely to cause a non-remould tyre with 27000 miles use to shed its tread down to the steel reinforcement?

Reply to
John Barnfield

Low tyre pressure

Reply to
Duncanwood

Yes. Driving on it illegally, ie when it was worn down past the limit.

Tyres have wear markers moulded in. When they are flush with the tread the tyre has had it. 27k is not bad for a tyre anyway depending of course on the driving.

Novaboys get less mileage out of them than granddads.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The fact it's done 27,000 miles? Is this a front tyre? I've never had front car tyres last anywhere near that long. 15,000 miles, no matter the car, and the buggers are dead.

Reply to
gazzafield
.

Well, maybe. This Granddad struggles to get 10K from the fronts of a 1.8 Focus!

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Just had new fronts on the rover 600. 42k on the clock and owned by my dad from new now mine. Original tyres

Reply to
Big Brian

The message from gazzafield contains these words:

Cor - whaddyer do to 'em? I've had front tyres last 40,000 no trouble.

Reply to
Guy King

if it occurred rapidly to a previously apparently good tyre then overloading or low tyre pressure or massive misalignment or deterioration due to age.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

What brand?

27,000 is a good life for an average compound tyre on the front of a front wheel drive car. However, if rather than wear, the tread has actually peeled off, then there are loads of possible causes, including manufacturing defects, certain types of punctures, low air pressure, etc.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't know. Astra 1.2, Skoda Favorit 1.3, Cavalier 2L, 406 1.6, and even a Micra ferchrissakes! No Longer than 15,000 miles for a set of front tyres.

Reply to
gazzafield

Christian McArdle ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed.

Was it on the front of an FWD car?

I suspect a manufacturing defect would have shown up WAAAAY before 27k miles.

My first suspicion would be damage that's allowed water in to the steel cores, which have then rusted and swelled.

Reply to
Adrian

You'd be surprised. AAIB reports of blown tyres on aircraft often show failures are due to original manufacturing defects, even after several retreads and many thousands of cycles.

The difference with road tyres (as well as a different usage pattern) is that someone bothers to examine tyres for why they failed.

Obviously, post manufacturing damage is probably more likely, although even then, tread shedding is often helped by poor adhesion or voids in the treadcarcass interface, which result from manufacturing defects.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What? I manage 15k easily out of the fronts on my 1.8 Focus. I rotate the tyres front/back at around 12-15k and then change the 4 when they are worn out at around 22-25k miles.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ah. I only buy 2 tyres at a time. I rotate the back onto the front ever other time or so, so they don't rot away before they wear out. This way, I don't have to spend time with the jack and wheel brace. The tyre people do it for me for free.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from gazzafield contains these words:

Grief. My Monsterheavy Audi 100 had new tyres about 8,000 miles ago and still has 9mm left on the fronts.

Reply to
Guy King

I live in an area noted for its roundabouts, and I don't do many motorway miles. I've tried rotating, but found that overall it didn't make much difference to the miles/set. I also find that the rears on the Focus always wear more on the edges, despite weekly pressure checks, and I don't like putting these on the front. I have put 50% worn fronts on the rear, then renewed the fronts but the wear rates don't always allow this.

Oh.... before the "new tyres to the rear" arguments start, I'm happier doing it my way thanks!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The cheap and nasty tyres (£30 a corner) I had fitted to the Xantia lasted

20k plus or about a year's motoring. The Ceat ones I had fitted at Kwikflit seem to be holding up much better.
Reply to
Malc

Milton Keynes by any chance?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Even I get 22k on decent tyres, and that's driving like a nutter.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Good guess, but no. Bracknell.

Chris