Tyres from Costco

Has anybody bought tyres from Costco recently? I have always found them considerably cheaper than the competition but I have been quoted £73 for

195/65 R 14 H speed rating. I can actually get a branded tyre for marginally less from other tyre suppliers and use my credit card and Costco need a week to get hold of some. Have they suddenly put all their prices up? They said that this was an odd size but it is from a 92 BMW 318.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

I have no experience of Costco but would have thought that no-one can make comparisons without knowing the make of tyre you are talking about.

Quality & prices vary significantly.

Reply to
Alan

I buy up to about fifty tyres a year from costco and usually they are very competitively priced on a like for like basis. Remember to factor in valve, fitting, balance and tyre disposal when comparing prices. Costco are extremely cheap on these "extras"

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Costco (from what I've heard) are _really_ good on the "high end" tyres. They're not cheap because they're an Eastern European bulk made crap tyre.

Things like Pirellis that go for 100 "retail" are like 60+VAT.

It's cheap enough that next time I need a pair of tyres and I'm not in a rush, I'm going to drive over to the Livepool costco, and even taking into account the tunnel fees, petrol, my time etc, they're still cheaper than other places.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I am being quoted £73 for Michelin Energy and anything from about £69 all in for a branded tyre from the competition so on this one Costco are way out line. I still think that they have it wrong. They are supposed to be cheaper not more expensive. That is the whole point of the membership. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

I'm fairly sure Costco only sell Michelin (and the michelin economy brand)

Reply to
TTT

In message , Kevin Rayner writes

There is a difference between a Michelin and a "branded tyre". Michelins are usually 20% more expensive than Pirelli, Conti, Goodyear etc so you really have to compare prices for the same tyre.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Are you being quoted like for like? Are you getting quotes for Michelin Energy tyres from other places?

Reply to
DervMan

NO, forget other makes, what do other places charge for the same tyre?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hello,

I wouldn't bother. I went to CostCo in Liverpool and picked the tyres I wanted. I paid and went over to have them fitted and was told to leave my keys and call back. You must be joking, leaving my keys with someone that is NOT INSURED to drive my car, unless CostCo can produce some sort of insurance certificate or give a letter stating they as a company are liable for my car once their employee has possession of the keys. I said no i would wait and they couldn't tell me when they could do them, inbetween standing around. I was told to call back the next day! I had to take them back round again and request a refund.

I prefer to drive my own car to the garage door, there is no way I am letting someone take it for a spin!

Reply to
AM200

Hi pete,

You should try FRANK BATHER on New Chester Road first, you might find his tyres are cheaper. He stocks most brands and can get any unusual ones fairly quick. I went to CostCo in Liverpool and selected Michelin tyres but they wanted my car keys so they could collect my car and drive it from a parking space over to the fitting bay. No one could show me a certificate of insurance and wouldn't show me anything to suggest that once my car was in the possession of a Costco employee that CostCo were responsible for any damage/theft/3rd party liability. My insurance company would certainly not cover ay damage to the car, or caused by the car, or any theft of the car in those circumstances, so be warned!

They said to come back the next day which was a bit stupid, so I had to get a refund.

So £30-ish a year for the CostCo card, then £2-40 for the tunnel, £3-ish for petrol, it all adds up.

I went to Frank Bather and saved loads. Unless you use CostCo a lot, its not worth paying out. The only bargain i got was a microwave with a £30 off voucher. I paid £159 when it was being sold in Currys for £229. Everything else is very close to shop prices in my opinion, so it's not worth going unless you're in the retail trade and really do buy in bulk.

Reply to
AM200

Hi Kevin,

That might have been the idea years ago, but I would shop around, forget the CostCo card - mine went in the bin when it started becoming more expensive to shop there than in other shops I don't have to pay to get in to.

Reply to
AM200

And they won't tell you the price before you join so you can tell if it's worth your while. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Every Costco I've been to is quite happy for you to have a look around before joining, including the tyre centres.

Reply to
TTT

Does that include them telling you the prices cause the Glasgow one wouldn't tell when I asked . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The Leeds branch lets anyone walk in and nosey at the tyres, they only asked me for my membership no when I bought.

Reply to
Ben Cowell

Ring them, they should tell you the price over the phone.

Reply to
Ben Cowell