Tyres ruined?

My Alfa 75 has been in long-term storage recently - just haven't had time to drive it - so stuck it in my lockup, 10 miles away.

I haven't looked at it for a while, but pulled it out today ready for an MOT tomorrow - the car started with a quick boost from my jump pack and seems to have survived OK...

But one of the front tyres was totally flat. No air left at all... I've inflated it, but had a horrible shaking when driving, around 60-70mph.

I think I know the answer... but I'm shelling out for new tyres, aren't I?

Not happy, though, as the tyres have only done a few dozen miles :(

The other issue is getting quality rubber in 195/60-14 size!

Reply to
SteveH

There is no doubt that tyres deteriorate over time, but at what rate, I cannot say. But not replacing dubious ones could be a very expensive mistake. I had mine replaced after a 30-year layup, even though the looked and seemed fine. But to me, it was sensible to buy new once the car was back on the road.

Most tyre sizes are available, I thought. Isn't there a company called 'Vintage Tyres', or something? Here you go:

Good luck!

Reply to
Davey

Booked in for Thursday - 4 Cooper Xeons for £225 all-in. Can't go wrong with that, to be honest.

MOT passed today, with no advisories, too :)

Reply to
SteveH

Leaving it flat with the weight if the car on it can ruin a tyre.

I believe for long term storage a vehicle is jacked up "on bricks" to prevent the problems when tyres go flat.

Reply to
alan_m