Tyreweld to fix a slow puncture?

Got a slow leak on one of my front tyres. Not too bad but needs to be topped up very week.

To be honest, I think its because the rim of the alloy is slightly dented so its not sitting properly.

Someone here in work has suggested getting a can of tyre weld and sticking some of this in to seal up the leak.

Does this really work? I dont want to end up knackering the tyre completely....

Reply to
paulfoel

It will work without harming the tyre, but against the idea is the cost of the tyre sealer, and the possible additional cost of cleaning the wheel when a new tyre is eventually fitted. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It'll knacker the tyre completely. In addition to that, some places charge more for changing a tyre when this shit has been used.

It's designed as a "get me home" product, not a run on until the tread runs out.

Reply to
Conor

Two different opinions here.... :-(

Reply to
paulfoel

Conor is wrong. It doesn't physically harm the tyre at all. He is right as far as saying it's designed as a temporary repair though, not a permanent one, but in the case of a slow puncture, I don't see any problem, apart from that of cost. You certainly wont be any worse off as far as te leak goes if you use it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'll be glad to offer an pinion from experience. Its a handy product for an emergency if you don't have a spare or the you get more than one puncture. But as your is a slow puncture it gives you the world of time to get down to a tyre centre and get it repaired if it is legally safe to do. This costs £7.50 at my local place possibly a few pounds depending on where you go. I use a small tyre centre.

If you roll into one of these places with a can of goop in the wheel they don't like this, they will either send you to kwik fit for a giggle or charge you more if they can be bothered for the mess if causes.

So simple enough don't bother go and get it repaired.

HTH

Reply to
James

It's easy enough to check - lay the tyre flat and put some water around the rim, watching for bubbles. Alloys often leak around the rims, not necessarily because they've been distorted, but because of corrosion.

From what I've heard, sticking tyre weld in the tyre would knacker it if you had a real puncture.

Reply to
Terry F.

Where did I say it does?

Reply to
Conor

"It'll knacker the tyre completely."

Now, unless the tyre is sentient and is undergoing mental anguish from having its insides coated with goop, I suggest that implies physical harm.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Also, if the wheel is damaged in some way, you should be fixing that.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It wont harm the tyre but it will annoy the fitter when it's changed for a new tyre, if it's a bead leak then you should just get it repaired, it should cost less than a tenner.

Reply to
Fred

e quoted text -

Alloy wheel. Hit with hammer to straighten ?

Reply to
paulfoel

Darwinian evolution in action.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

quoted text -

I'd take it to a alloy refurber. Belting it might work, but might crack/weaken it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I once had a hell of a job getting a tyre fixed after using Holts TyreWeld (no spare wheel on my car so no option). Four places wouldn't touch the tyre quoting "It's knackered once you use that stuff" or some made-up EU Health & Safety legislation - basically they all wanted to sell me a new tyre. So then I took it to an independent tyre shop - quick wipe out with some paper towel, puncture fixed for =A310 - job's a good 'un. Afterwards I e-mailed Holts and the reply was -

1) TyreWeld does absolutely NO damage to a tyre and does not impede the ability for a puncture to be fixed. 2) Holts have an agreement with National Tyres - they will attempt to fix any puncture after TyreWeld has been used but may charge a "small" extra fee for the cleaning of the wheel and tyre.
Reply to
gustavfenk

I had similar - took wheel to local guy who removed tyre and cleaned the rim with wire brush etc and then fitted tyre and been ok since.

Reply to
Alf

"paulfoel" wrote

Alloy wheel. Hit with hammer to straighten ?

Yes, just don't hammer dirctly onto the wheel, mitigate the force with a block of wood and you should be able to straighten it out.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Sounds like good advice...

Reply to
paulfoel

can i put goop in my motorcycle tyres that already have goop inside?

Reply to
suckeggs581964

Yes, provided they are not totally full already.

Reply to
Mrcheerful