UK wide car delivery - FREE

I'm now retired, love driving and travelling so I've been thing to offer a free service moving cars around the country. I was wondering if there might be some call for this sort of service?

I would obviously expect the 'client' to pay any expenses involved - the rail fares at reduced rates, fuel, a meal and etc..

I would also expect the vehicle to be taxed properly MOT'ed and fully fit for the road and the expenses to be paid up front.

I'm only considering this at the moment, but would this be of any value

- perhaps to those buying a vehicle at the other end of the country and too busy to collect it?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I know that this is a fully fledged business in the US, as my brother-in-law travelled from LA to Detroit driving a car for one of the companies offering that service, so there is a demand. Maybe.

For the other point of view, watch the film Vanishing Point.

Reply to
Davey

Davey brought next idea :

I have seen the films and I know that in the US, car transport needs are often matched with people looking to get from one location to another, so both derive some benefit from the deal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I can see a few potential pitfalls; firstly, have you considered how you would arrange insurance, both for RTA compliance, and to cover any damage to the vehicle? Secondly, in the scenario you describe where you are collecting a newly-purchased vehicle, how would you resolve the situation where the buyer found damage, but the seller claimed the vehicle was perfect when you collected it?

For you to just cover costs, the price you would have to charge would only be viable for higher value vehicles. These are mostly sold through main dealer networks, who already have their own arrangements.

I'm not meaning to appear too negative, but I would doubt you would find many takers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I did it once in the US - or at least, fly-drive. It was all administered by an office in New York, and I gather there's quite a business in people who can't be arsed to drive home.

Don't know of any such thing in the UK. I'd put a standard-but-personalised letter around the local dealers, auction houses and car supermarkets. I'd have thought there's quite a demand. One of my local dealers has a national network - you can choose from any network car and they'll arrange for a local viewing. So someone must be ferrying them about.

Reply to
RJH

and what about: it ran perfectly before you drove it, now the engine needs a rebuild. The windscreen has a crack, you wore the tyres out, etc. etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"I have a large 'package' wrapped in brown paper tied up with string. Can u deliver? I'll also give ye a wad of cash, buy any car you like for the job. Watch the rozzers. Ken?"

Reply to
Adrian C

After reading the subject line I wondered what the definition of a "wide car" was. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Car hire companies might want this service. I did this occasionally when I was a young student; moving hire cars round in Europe back to depot or where they were required. Only petrol paid, but I got to see a lot of foreign places. Mileage was estimated in advance with small leeway; I remeber reversing a VW Beetle somewhat to catch up...

Reply to
johannes