Uneven roll on 1985 Nissan Bluebird

Hi,

I have a 1985 Bluebird, only done 81,000 and in good nick *except* that when I got it the offside rear tyre had a bulge, so I replaced it. 1500miles later, same place, same problem.

It seems to roll a lot more at the back turning left than right. But.. just passed MOT. Asked about it there, while they had it on ramp. Checked myself... all bushes ok (McPherson Strut with lots of tie bars), bearings ok, anti roll intact, all seems OK. Checked angles with laser gadget, they were ok too.

So what can it be? Only thing I can think of now is a duff spring. Car isn't more heavily loaded that side (except me, 12 stone ;-). Do springs go like that? Would a scrappie strut (or pair from same car) be a good move? On a £300 car not really worth fitting all new suspension... but it's not a bad motor!

So any ideas welcome. Ta in advance

Reply to
Paul Scott

Bad luck with aduff tyre or somebodys driving it over kerbs. Kerbs &/or duff tyres are pretty much the only things that cause tyres to bulge.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Maybe... but I know I've been careful and nobody else drives it. Bulges are down to sidewall damage as I understand it.. could excessive roll do that?

When I do go too quickly round a left hander it feels as though the tyre is really struggling not to roll off the rim. Right handers are fine, nice and firm.

(My other car is a 3.0 RWD Supra.. I know what it *should* feel like when the back end lets go ;-)

Reply to
Paul Scott

Might just be bad luck. Thereagain I know roadhogs bulge from fairly light bumps.

Reply to
DuncanWood

I suppose it could be. But all four tyres were done at the same time - it seems to be too much coincidence that it's the same one that's gone.. and it's the side that shouldn't get kerbed so much anyway.

I think I'll go with the theory that the spring and/or damper is weak that side and get a scrappy shock on it as an experiment...

Cheers

Reply to
Paul Scott