Uneven tyre wear

Hi all,

1997 mk3 Rover 200Si 1.6 k series 40K miles

When checking my tyre pressures the other day (they were all fine, and always kept at correct pressure) I noticed that the outer surface of my front passenger side tyre was worn right down, whereas the rest of the tyre's surface was still almost at full tread. The other 3 tyres on the car have all worn evenly across the surface.

What does this mean? Is an adjustment to the tracking required?

-----------------

Also, for the last 5,000 miles or so my engine sounds very rattly when accelerating/under load, probably tappet noise.

It's much worse when cold but never really goes away completely when warmed up. Even after a 250 mile motorway journey at high speed over the weekend, the noise was still evident with the windows down. The car still drives fine.

Is there anything I can short, save taking it to a dealer? I put a bottle of wynns valve gear cleaner in it before the long trip hoping it would free up any stuck tappets. I didn't hold uo much hope since this stuff is usually snake oil, and sure enough it has made bog all difference :(

Thanks all

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Yep. Get the tracking sorted, and you'll at least stop it getting worse. I've seen tyres go down to the wire through tracking problems. I think the tyre still wears with that pattern, due to tyre not being totally solid. If you're fussy about handling / hoon about everywhere you might want to get a new front tyre, or a pair depending on how worn the old ones are. I once had a similar tyre, worn on the outside and it caused shocking understeer in the wet.

Reply to
Doki

< SNIP>

My Rover 200 has just suffered from EXACTLY the same problem. I was going to spend the extra i.e. £50, and have it tracked properly on one of these machine that do both front and back, after speaking to the guy who seemed to know what he was talking about for a change !

Unfortunately I was involved in a minor accident on Friday, and whilst not illegal, the traffic officer commented on it's condition. :-( Sod's law in full force !

I was therefore forced to have the tyre replaced and the tracking done in a Nationwide place, who said it was way out, but I am not totally convinced, as the same place checked and adjusted it previously. The check is free, but it's £22 if it requires adjustment !

Once the repairs are carried out, I propose to still take it to this garage in Haywards Heath, which has the better gear, and to have the full check carried out, just to satisfy myself, it's been carried out correctly.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

Probably a suspension component is worn on that side. Most cars, I don't know about yours, only have adjustment for toe (tracking), not camber or castor. If the tracking was out it would tend to affect both sides.

More likely exhaust noise. Tappets don't really care whether you're accelerating or not. If there's a leak it will be near the front, possibly at the manifold. It could be something loose inside.

Having put that stuff in, I would change the oil. If you have hydraulic tappets it's worth emptying a can of engine flush into the oil and idling the car as per instructions before draining and refilling. Don't drive with it in.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Could easily be tired or cracking bushes in the suspension somewhere, such as lower wishbones, that sort of thing. Can be pricey to fix, but will make a difference in all sorts of ways. Does not need to be bad enough to fail the MOT, to cause odd tyre wear.

Reply to
R. Murphy