Unleaded fuel in a PD TDI engine

I have mistakenly filled my new Skoda, 1.9 PD TDI engine, with unleaded, it was nearly at empty and I filled it up to full with unleaded fuel.

I drove away from the petrol station, travel less than half a mile and it conked out at the lights. I tried to start it and then realised what I had done.

The AA towed me to a garage and had the fuel drained and the car seems to be OK. Although I think that the engine is sounding quite noisy now and that my fuel economy has dropped - I might just be being paranoid since this has happened. Does anyone know if this will cause any damage that will manifest itself at a later date.

The other thing is that since the car is still under warranty, the manufacturer obviously doesn't know about this but were I to have any problems later relating to any of the parts that this type of thing could have damaged, would there be any way that they would be able to tell that this has happened, would there be any visible signs eg to the fuel pump etc?

What parts of the engine could something like this actually damage?

Many thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.

Regards Alan

Reply to
ARB

Well it wont have done the high pressure pumping units any good, petrol has a low lubricity level and the PD system relies on the lubricant qualities of diesel to keep it sweet.

Whether you attempt a claim from Skoda when it does pack up is up to you.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim

Thanks for your reply. So you are saying "when" it packs up rather than "if" - what makes you so certain that it will?

If something does pack in, is it possible for the dealer to tell that it was because of filling with unleaded? Are there obvious signs of this?

Reply to
ARB

If they suspect fuel contamination, your warranty won't be valid anyway.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Did you called the AA out under your own personal membership or Manufactor cover? If under manufactor cover then the AA patrol would have coded it off as

*petrol in diesel car started*,then Skoda will be aware that it happened.

Steve

Reply to
steev

It was under the manufacturer cover but according to the AA and Skoda, they do not get notification of breakdowns from the AA, I can only hope that this is true.

Reply to
ARB

It's a relativley common thing the pumps breaking up. But it's mostly down to luck. I've seen low mileage vehicles that have never had the wrong fuel in them have the pump fail, yet have seen other cars that have been filled with petrol several times be sold off at 80k and never had any problems.

The only way they can really prove that the damage was caused by contaminated fuel, is if they get a fuel sample tested, and there is still enough petrol showing in it (very unlikely after a good few tankfuls)

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

I don't know about Skoda,but other manufactures use the fault coding information they get from the AA to identify reoccurring or potential faults,this includes misfueling as faults with pumps occur at a later date,hopefully you'll have no lasting damage.

Steve

Reply to
steev

I don't honestly want to be a gloom and doom merchant but I'd worry a bit about *why* it conked out. As far as I'm aware, diesels will run on petrol, albeit smokily and potentially engine damagingly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Or the other way round, like my dad who drove diesels for work, and then one day wondered what had happened to his Honda Blackbird....

Reply to
James Dore

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

That's OK, Malc - I'll drop you in it!

Reply to
Guy King

I think that may well have been the case for old wind up diesels like the XUD and early 1.8 Endura, I doubt something high tech like the PD with electronic control will enjoy having petrol in it's belly.

Reply to
Doctor D

So with a bit of luck the electrickery may have stopped the engine before too much harm then?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

i have heard on the grapevine, the recovery companies now report any mis-fuels back to a data base which gets relayed back to the specific dealer/warranty dept, just in case any future warranty work transpires from the mis-fuel.

Reply to
reg

It's the high pressure pumps and the injectors on PD engines which don't like running petrol through them supposedly. By the time the ECU notices, it's probably too late.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Armstrong
[...]

Just checked with stepson. (Ex AA patrol, now works for the parent co.)

He said that if you are a member at your own cost, they do not make individual reports available to manufacturers unless there may be a safety issue.

With car-based membership provided as part of a warranty package, the patrol is supposed to mark anything other than punctures, break-ins or similar as data to be retained. The manufacturer can then request this. As far as he is aware, mis-fuels are not automatically reported, but could be sent to the manufacturer if requested. He did not think any data would ever be sent to a dealer.

If you have a breakdown package as part of your warranty, mis-fuel, and then use someone independent to drain/refill it, you may save some money later...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I knew I could count on you.

Reply to
Malc

See if the insurance will cough up for any manufacturer-recommended repairs, because they could cost £5000 or more. If not, just drive it and hope.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Can i pick out your grammar errors too, while we are being perfect?

Coyoteboy

Knock yourself out...

....you may wish to correct your capitalisation errors while you're at it.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts