Unsmoothed car battery charger - is it crap?

My car battery is oversized for the car. The battery is a bit old but usually works fine. The battery is flat (I left the lights on).

My fancy new modern charger senses a poor battery and only puts in very little charge.

I used to use a really old charger to charge this battery successfully. I opened up the old charger and saw it was only a transformer and a big rectifier. That's it. No soothing.

Is this ok for a car battery or is it way too crude?

Reply to
Eddie

Eddie coughed up some electrons that declared:

Well, it always has been OK - never seen a car charger that was anything but a transformer and some rectifiers - but then I haven't actually bought a new one for 20 years!

The only concern is for the electronics in the car, but generally the battery itself will do the smoothing, which only leaves over-voltage to be a problem, so don't over charge the battery, which would be bad for the battery anyway.

If you're paranoid you could disconnect the +ve and charge the battery in isolation.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Check the electrolyte level in your battery.Filtered DC causes polarization of the battery.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

An unpolarised battery isn't much use.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's a sealed battery. Are they better or worse than electrolyte batteries when the charge drops to very low?

Reply to
Eddie

Similar, the difference is when they're overcharged , but any battery with a high CCA compared to it's capacity won't like being hard discharged. Boost it for a few hours on the old charger, charge it up on a decent one or by driving the car & see if it's still happy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Dunno - might make a good door stop

Reply to
geoff

Fair point.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , geoff writes

Depends a bit on size.

Last week a VERY large hornet decided to take a stroll across my work bench. A 2.8Ah Yuasa flattened it perfectly. Although I must admit that it was not unpolarised, the battery that is.

Any one have any other uses for old batteries?

Reply to
Bill

An AC battery would be darn handy...

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

You've not met Radioheads big battery have you :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

An ancient crude charger is actually quite good at recovering a flat and possibly sulphated battery - it will output quite a high voltage with a high impedance load, which is needed to help combat the sulphation. However, after the battery has started to take a reasonable charge rate, ditch it and use your modern one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Electrons are electrons to the battery. If they are at high enough potential to cause a charge condition on the battery, they will.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

My electrons are smaller than your electrons; take THAT!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

I keep one just for that purpose & then connect the new fangled smart charger soon as the batt can take it. From experience though, if connecting a totally flat batt get ready to switch off the old charger before the needle goes off the scale followed by a big bang as the bridge rectifier decides its had enough!!

Reply to
Redwood

My ancient one has a series resistor to limit the current - and has both mains and DC fuses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The one I built in the '60s has a Variac to set the charging current, ot float voltage.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, when religion peddlers come to the door, they make great things to throw.

"But, I didn't see that guy standing there, sorry!"

BTW, don't unpolarized batteries just provide AC? And if that's the case, how do you specifiy 50 or 60 Hz?

Reply to
PeterD

Yes. 0VAC

0VAC 50/60Hz.

Of course, in Spice they can deliver whatever voltage/frequency you want. No need to worry about the little details of thermodynamics either.

Reply to
keithw86

...that is how fast it tumbles when thrown?

Reply to
Robert Baer