Unsticking Car Badges & Emblems

I intend to remove some of the stuck-on badges and emblems from my car.

Is there a specific procedure for removing them that minimises the risk of damage to the car?

What is the best solvent to use to remove the adhesive residue without damaging the paint finish?

TIA

Reply to
mlv

use a cheese wire to cut the rubbery bonding, start with wd40 as a solvent and get more volatile as needed

Reply to
MrCheerful

Heat it up with something like a hair dryer then use fine fishing line between the badge and the paint. Finally remove the residue and polish with T-cut and polish.

Reply to
Depresion

Heat it up gently with a hair dryer as you pull it off.

Once you've removed it, use Citrus Wipes which you can get from your local Tesco to remove the glue. My missus does vinyl signage on vehicles and has yet to find anything as good as Citrus wipes for removing old adhesive.

Reply to
Conor

I managed to remove the badges with my fingernails by applying a gentle, continuous pulling force and allowing the adhesive to slowly delaminate.

All the solvents suggested (WD40, lighter fuel, citrus) caused the adhesive tape to weaken and break-up, but removing the final layer of residue was a challenge.

The best solvent turned out to be Genklene (which I believe is basically

1,1,1 Trichloroethane).
Reply to
mlv

In message , mlv writes

I used to use gallons of this stuff (and Arklone as well) as a service engineer - can you still get hold of it or has it gone to the great EEC dustbin in the sky?

Reply to
leo

Leo asked:

AIUI Genklene (an ICI product) became a victim of the Montreal Protocol that sought to control production and importation of ozone-depleting substances. Production of 1,1,1 Trichloroethane (methyl chloroform) was banned from 31 December 1995. Stocks of Genklene could be legally traded in the UK until 1 October 2000. I think there is a global exemption for laboratory use, and Genklene can still be obtained under special licence.

I think 1,1,1 Trichloroethane used to be the thinner supplied in useful 20ml bottles with the typist's saviour, Tipp-Ex.

I think there is (or was) an alternative product on the market called 'New Genklene', but this is/was quite different to 1,1,1 Trichloroethane Genklene and not as effective.

So, to answer your question; to all extents Genklene has been banned and gone to the great EU dustbin in the sky, which has of course denied 'Golden' Brown the opportunity to nail a green label on it and tax it out of existence instead.

Reply to
mlv