Unusual clutch problem and the answer

Escort mk6, heavily dragging clutch when pedal right down. Pedal felt normal but a bit light, arm on the box moved normally but clutch would not fully disengage, some whirring noise from release bearing when pedal depressed. Took the box out and I expected to find the clutch plate broken up, clutch itself was actually ok, but one side of the carrier for the release bearing had snapped off, so the bearing was pushed on only one side, meaning that only a small portion of the clutch fingers were being pushed. First time I had come across this, and this type of bearing has been around for quite a while.

Reply to
Mrcheerful