update re: mk4 golf steering rack problem

The garage just called and said there is power going in the slip ring as they called it and not coming out there was no fault prior to this. He explained they are fragile. And if not taken out right (centrered?) they can break. Hes installed new ones that wouldn't work and thinks they can be a bit temperamental.

Basically its £55.12 + vat and free fitting as he said its bad luck and its not a bit job about 10 minutes to remove the steering wheel and parts, and put the new one in as my car has no esp or anything like that.

I asked if I source a used part if he would fit it but he thinks this is a bad idea as if it kackered I'll still have the same problem or it could deploy the air bag for no reason ? ... they're avail from breakers and ebay from £4-70 .. looks a simople home diy fix. Whats the process of changing it, is it just a case of removing the air bag, steering, wheel and remove replace ?

He has fited used parts happily on mine and other cars but said this would be a bad idea.

I've asked him to give me the evening to decide what to do

Reply to
Pete

God almighty. How skint are you? For £60 he will fix your old rust heap? I don't think I'd want customers like you.

Reply to
James

God almighty. How skint are you? For £60 he will fix your old rust heap? I don't think I'd want customers like you.

Well basically they broke it so they should fix it, they don't break on their own, thats a load of rubbish. The moron who put it back together goosed it.

Whether I'm skint or not it is not the point, they broke a part they should fix it, it you re-read some of the other posts on this problem you will see how much else they have screwed up.

I the customer should be not be accountable for there errors.

Reply to
Pete

I work with domestic goods servicing them. It sometimes happens that removing one part sees off another part which was getting near its life end. Sounds the same in your case. Pay up and be a man about it.

Reply to
James