USA finds VW BlueTec cheat emission test

The only clean hydrocarbon fuel available on filling station forecourts right now is LPG.

LPG produces 33% less CO2 emissions than petrol and 45% less CO2 than diesel. LPG vehicles produce upto 82% less Nitrogen Oxide pollutants than petrol and 99% better than diesel !

63% less Carbon Monoxide. 40% less Hydrocarbons than petrol and 70% less than diesel. 50% less particulates than petrol and 98% less than diesel. These caused the London warning in 2005.

Peter Hill

Don't believe that for one moment.

CO2 is produced by burning any carbon fuel and the amount produced by an IC engine largely determined by the power of that engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Um no. LPG is not "clean", it's "cleaner".

Wrong. Do you think a 100 BHP hydrogen fuelled IC engine would produce the same amount of CO2?

Diesel has longer HC chains that petrol, which has longer chains than LPG. As chain length shortens, the ratio of hydrogen to carbon increases leading to more H2O production and less CO2.

Tim

"
Reply to
Tim+

Is hydrogen a carbon fuel? I had the idea that it was not.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Depends how you make it. ;-) Of course in itself it has no carbon. I was just making the point that the fuel constituents DO make a difference to CO2 emissions and that longer chain heavier fuels produce more CO2 than shorter chain ones.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, I'm really not sure if there's some serious subtlety going on here, or not.

Reply to
Adrian

Given hydrogen - unlike any of the other fuels mentioned - is an element so doesn't contain carbon, no. Nor does it produce other by products - only water.

Didn't say there was no difference. Just that the figures quoted were vastly inflated. It's somewhat less than 20% difference between diesel and LPG.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hardly a surprised - car enthusiasts have been suspecting manufacturers of doing this for several years.

But the downside is that you have the 99p filler cap of shame sticking out of your rear bumper.

Reply to
SteveH

Taking the Transco calorific value of natural gas and assuming it is

*all* methane, I reckon that for 100 MJ of energy the carbon content of gas is 1.43 kg while the carbon content of petrol (assuming octane) is 1.76 kg.

So that's about 24% better.

Reply to
newshound

Natural gas isn't commonly used in cars. You need to do the calc for LPG.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...in the UK...

2/3 market share in Pakistan, 1/3 in Armenia, 1/5 in Bolivia.

Mercedes sell brand new gas-powered cars (badged NGT) in many EU countries, and they aren't the only ones. There's 900 filling stations in Germany and 1200 in Italy - where 800,000 cars are gas-powered.

Reply to
Adrian

Agreed, but not sure what the blend is for LPG (natural gas is virtually all methane). However as you move from methane to propane and butane you are moving in the same direction as petrol. So the ratio won't be as good as for methane. Actually I think methane is about 6% more calorific than "mains" natural gas so my 24% is probably an overestimate for that reason.

Reply to
newshound

Well burning propane and butane gives less emissions than octane and heptane (main ingredients of petrol). LPG cars could meet 1990s emission standards with a cretinously simple mixer, whereas petrol engines need EFI. With todays standards, LPG is still better. Look at the Aussie Ford 6 cyl which is made in both petrol and LPG versions. The LPG is cleaner.

Reply to
pedro1492