Use vasiline on windows rubbers

Been a bit silly thinking it might help my electric windows shut easier. I used vasiline on the window rubbers and now everytime I open my windows I get smear marks all over the window!

Any advice on how to get rid of it ?

Also any idea what I can use to help the windows go up and down smoothly.

Reply to
Matty

I'd first see if I could take off the door fascia, to get the window and window rubbers out, and clean thouroughly.

If not, I'd then take a rag, with some WD40 on it, and scrub the window, raise/lower, repeat. Change the rag every 5 or so up/downs.

I'd be wondering if the rubber has started to perish a bit, and if it could do with replacing. The vaseline probably won't help.

If you had the mechanism apparent, you could see if there were bits there that should be lubricated.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Subject mean't to read "used vaseline on window rubbers"

Reply to
Matty

In which case you should have tried fresh vaseline.

I'll fetch my coat

Reply to
OG

Window cleaner and elbow grease, although make sure the elbow grease doesn't come into contact with the glass. ;-)

Zimmy

Silicone spray from Halfords or suchlike. Brilliant stuff.

Reply to
gazzafield

Silicone spray. Even furniture polish containing it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah...removing the door card and greasing the window winder mechanism.

Reply to
Conor

With electric windows the winder is rarely the problem I find.

Reply to
gazzafield

IME, it's always been the problem in cars over 7-8 years old.

Reply to
Conor

Won't really matter with all that "vasiline" on there!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Pledge, Mr Sheen etc is exactly the same and cheaper. Very slippy surfaces left behind after polishing it off and coating seems to stay put for many months.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Neat washing up liquid usually works on dry grease. Once you put water on it doesn't. Same with Swafega (spelling?)

Reply to
CWatters

Tanks for the posts.

I spent my luch hour on it. I did as you said with WD40 and it opens and closes smear free. I had only enough time to take the widows fittings for the drviers side so still got the passenger and 2 rear ones to go.

Preety silly using it but at the time when I used it I was deserapte to stop the noise it made, which I should of gone out and bought some silicone spray, but there you go.

Cheers

Reply to
Matty

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Thats the stuff! Wish I used it at the right time. Gone and made more work for myself.

Reply to
Matty

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Matty" saying something like:

Thank goodness. I'd supposed you were using Valvoline on a Widow's Rubbing Bits.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon