Used Mercedes E class comments?

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a Merceded E Class Auto. I'd prefer to get a diesel as I do plenty of motorway miles (around 1700 a month) so the economy needs to be good.

Been to the Great Trade Centre London where I've seen some E200 and 240 models around 3/4 years old, FSH and around 70/80k on the clock. Price from £12k to 14k which fits my budget. The car needs to be relatively cheap to maintain for the mileage I do. I haven't won the lottery yet.

What's the opinion on these cars? Is 80k mileage too much - should I expect to have to start replacing a number of things soon after I get the car?

What are the service intervals and what am I typically going to pay?

Is the 2.0 underpowered for the size of the car? I'm thinking the 2.4 engine would guzzle fuel.

What do I look for in a used merc and what do I avoid?

I'm confused - help me please!

Finally - is the Great Trade Centre a good place to buy?

Thanks,

Al.

Reply to
Al

There is a 2.2 4 cylinder which is the best comprimise(E220), but dont expect much more than 30mpg. A car with cloth and no air con will be quite abit cheaper, and I'd choose this as long as the service book is showing a full set of MB dealer stamps.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi Tim.

Do you have/had one? Any idea on the general servicing costs?

Thanks.

Al.

Reply to
Al

The Merc will not be cheap to maintain, it will hold its value well, but you will need to keep the service history going.

Reply to
Me

you can't haggle the price or the £61 thing they charge to cover "admin costs" other than that, i've bought from them in the past and haven't had a problem but i did pay cash money rather than go on finance

Reply to
dojj

Only 30 MPG from a 2.2 litre diesel on the motorway? I get much more than this on a 3 litre petrol auto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dave Plowman mumbled:

I can get that out of the Maestro...but not in this country! Full pelt up the French motorways on the mountain stretches really pushes the fuel consumption. from 50ish (or more) at sensible speeds, steady 90-95 up hills guzzles the stuff.

Reply to
Guy King

I was refering to the 2.2 4 cylinder Petrol motor. The OP won't get a recent enough E class to get the 2.2 CDi (diesel) on his budget.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It's still poor. My old SD1 EFI auto with a 3 speed box will better 30 on the motorway by quite a margin if you keep to legal speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

" dojj" wrote in news:bjif6l$a86$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

I hears that you couldn't haggle and I can't understand the £61 fee! I'm going to get finance through a different company (lower APR rates). So based on you recommendations, you are okay with the GTC?

Al.

Reply to
Al

Dont you mean switch - some guy at work reckons they charge you for cash over 1000......

Reply to
sro

the last time I bought from them was about 6 years ago but I had bought several cars before that and my mate bought a car last year from them and paid £6k with a bankers draft and £4k cash they didn't charge him anything but like I say, that was last year

Reply to
dojj