Using Newsgroups?

I currently access these newsgroups using outlook express but as i am changing internet suppliers i am only going to have an internet email account. Is there a way of posting vie the internet?

Thanks

Reply to
Rob Kirk

Netscape Communicator, Forté Agent and Outlook Express as popular ways of posting.

You can continue to use Outlook Express and just change the email and new server settings.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I think Rob means he doesn't have access to a news server via his new ISP. He can use a web reading/posting site like Google Groups, or alternatively subscribe to a premium usenet news server, which would be around £2 a month, e.g. gradwell.com.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Try this free newsserver (news.cfn.de)

You have to register & it is a text only service - but heh it's free!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hocking

Jesus. What mickey mouse ISP is it ;)? Claranet offer a news server for an annual fee. I remember it was fairly cheap, not always 100% though. If you're not bothered about the binary groups try

though you need to set it up with a "live" email address last time I made an account. Generally reliable enough and free.

Reply to
Doki

Thanks for your help.

What i didnt explain before is that i am currently dialing up using freeserve to access my freeserve pop3 email account in outlook express(which is where i access these newsgroups). As i understand it i will no longer be able to use my freeserve pop3 email when i start connecting to the internet with a different supplier. Is there anyother companys that supply pop3 email that can be used from any dial up.

Reply to
Rob Kirk

Well, I have two ISPs, Tiscali and NTLworld, and I use them indiscriminately.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

You must be indiscriminate to have signed up to those two :).

Reply to
Doki

Who are you dialling up with in the future?

It's _really_ unusual (IMO) to find a dialup ISP who doesn't offer POP email accounts.

FWIW, you'll still be able to pick up your Freeserve POP email for 90 days after you stop dialling in with them. You need to dial in to Freeserve once every 90 days in order to keep your account active. Even if it's an Anytime package, they keep your account as a PAYG one.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Twas Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:27:01 -0000 when "Rob Kirk" put finger to keyboard producing:

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

On

Yes, you can. I use both fsnet and clara pop accounts.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I have email through SpamCop.net (subscription) and usenet through ClaraNews (subscription)

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Probably a sensible one. Seen how many GB per day traffic there is on usenet?

Reply to
Conor

I mentioned Gradwell before - they specialize in 'add-ons' and will provide e-mail, usenet, webhosting etc. on subscription which you can use separately and independently from you chosen ISP. Ideal if you want to keep you e-mail address and be free to change ISP, or if you have a 'wires only' ISP service. Alternatively BT Openworld have a non-ISP, e-mail only service for £1.50 a month - no news service at present though. Must be dozens of others offering similar services.

express(which

Reply to
Bob Davis

This is why most isps give shit newsfeeds to binary groups. If you want good binary access you pay for it through ClaraNews for £30/year like lots 'o people do.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

That's not true usually. You need to use the SMTP (send) server of the system you are connected into because hardly anyone will allow you to use those remotely now. POP3 you should be able to use from anywhere using your user name and password. NNTP (news) you usually have to use the one belonging to the system you are connected to but there are free ones as people have mentioned. All ISPs should provide their own SMTP, POP3 and news servers.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Except all the 'premuim service' suppliers. That's their huge advantage, you can access them from anywhere - any country, any ISP. You just have to pay (usually) for the service.

Becoming less and less true - most ISPs are restricting their external mail access to webmail only, and POP access to connections through their access servers. They need to recover the costs of providing the service, which they do by making them available only to users paying for their connections.

Well, most do, but often they are inadequate in many respects, and you are under no compulsion to use them. Some will also offer 'wires only' access at reduced cost - why pay for services you don't use? My present ISP mail account is bombarded by spam, despite the fact that I never give the address out, and their binary news servers are completely useless and unreliable. On the other hand, my independent mail service has been no trouble for nearly ten years, through multiple ISPs and several years working overseas.

Reply to
Bob Davis