V5 T/F bad sign from car auction?

Looking at a car auction listing one of the cars I am interested in is listed as having the V5 T/F (to follow). Is this something to be concerned about? Why wouldnt it be present? Does this mean I wouldnt be able to get the road tax or even insurance right away without the V5 present?

Also this car was listed in the previous auction a couple of days ago, aswell as a forthcoming one. I presume this means the reserve wasnt met or something?

Can you get road tax right away with any 2nd car right away, as the V5 would still have the previous owners name on?

Reply to
Albert

Albert (albert) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If the V5 shows up, no problem. If the V5 doesn't show up, but all is genuine - a bit of a delay and £19 to get a replacement.

If all *isn't* genuine...

Reply to
Adrian

Depends. Could still be in the post if the seller's not long bought it.

I believe you need the V5 or the V5 tear-off to tax it if you don't have a tax reminder, yes. And the name on the V5 or tear-off would have to match the name on the insurance.

What?

Again could be a number of reasons.

What?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

No it doesn't.

So long as the insurance covers the car in question, you can tax it.

Names mean nothing as the registered keeper may not be the owner or driver.

Reply to
SteveH

You may be right in principle, but expect a potentially tough time getting tax at the Post Office if the name of the registered keeper doesn't appear on the insurance (unless the insurance covers any driver). Assuming you tax at the Post Office.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Rough idea: yes! Ignore it, no matter how tempting it may be. You're really taking a risk with it otherwise, no matter how minor a risk, it's still a risk, and when splashing out so much cash (be it £500 or £5000) it's not worth it.

I find planning prior to buying (then selling on at a decent profit) at a car auction is what it's all about. Plenty of cars dealers wont touch, as they can't shift them off their forecourts, that's where you come in. Limits choice somewhat, but try buying a newish focus, it's an f'ing nightmare with all those dealers sniffing about.

Reply to
David R

It seems to be common with cars from lease companies etc. Dunno really why

- perhaps to prevent theft or mislaying of the documents during the transportation and auction process? Or perhaps they want to know who the vehicles is sold to and being given the address to post on the documents to is one way?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the car's been a total loss and the insurance co has paid out then they (should) take the V5 and you can't get a new one until the car has a VIC.

You could try calling the DVLA and see if they will help you. E.g. confirming or otherwise the registered keeper.

Reply to
adder1969

That's a solution if you've already bought it though - avoid buying in the first place. If the aucion house you're using has an decent website, they usually list what they're selling at the next auction, so you know what to avoid.

Reply to
David R

Don't auction houses imdemnify you against stolen cars etc? Of course ebay probably won't and it seems that's the auction to which the OP is referring.

Reply to
adder1969

Don't get me wrong, some do to a great extent, others are very much: "It's your car now, do go away." I'm sceptical of the HPI check services some auction houses use, some are very accurate, others I have seen had been in a crash, yet HPI check with a certain service said it was fine. It's never

100% accurate, it's best going for the best car you feel safe buying, even if it costs that little bit extra, sa you're hopefully saving money still.
Reply to
David R