VAG cars code reader?..

Can anyone recommend a code reader that can be used if possible on a vintage 1996 Audi A6 2.0 litre straight four, or if thats now to olde we have another A6 2 litre petrol of 2006 vintage with turbo?

I see there are quite a few on ebay over quite a price range but anyone with any experience of them and their suppliers can recommend any in particular please?.

Cheers.....

Reply to
tony sayer

VCDS is pretty unbeatable, wish I could get it for other vehicles.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Seconded, VCDS is the one. I think to cover the second car you'll probably need a CANBUS apable scanner (or CANBUS cable for VCDS), and for the older car you'll need an older interface: the VCDS USB-HEX+CAN will cover both.

Chris Bartram

OK thanks for that. Seems the one, however being a shade tight at the moment anything else around a bit cheaper perhaps?..

Cheers...

Reply to
tony sayer

Can't offer any specific recommendations as I have VCDS, and haven't used anything else, but do make sure you get a CAN capable scanner as otherwise it won't work on the newer car, and something with VAG-specific capability will be better than a generic OBD scanner, which will be limited in what it can talk to (probably just the engine...)

Gendan offer a couple of possibilities here:

Chris Bartram

I'll give them a call thanks!...

Reply to
tony sayer